Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen any post lately concerning crip joint leaks during cold weather. I think GM is recognizing that there is a problem with the 2008 6 speed tranmission cooler lines. Will have more definitive info later this week.:thumb

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had leak in one line Feb 14. Purchased a repair kit from Alligator Performance and had my local Chevy dealer put them on for me. Received ltr from GM dtd Jan 2015 with extended coverage for repair cost to cover labor and one line
replacement.

"GM is covering 2008 Silverado & GMC Serria with 6 speed trannys 10 years or 150,000 miles. Anyone that has had repairs done (not sure if by GM or not) needs to contact GM with documentation if you have not received a letter.

I have already received my reimbursement check. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Flabbergasted to say the least!!! :gearjamin.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
They know they have an issue, I just got a letter from them telling me that they are covered for 150k, too bad I'm at 180k.

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
Yeah mine started leaking two days ago and I got my letter yesterday..

·
Registered
849 Posts
hrm....ive only had my 08 for 7 months and no issues at least that i know of. im at 90K

should i look around for problems in hopes that i can cash in on this?

im not even sure what to look for..fluid on the tranny lines? under the truck by the actual tranny or up closer to the engine bay?

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
I bought mine back in july with 80k miles on it..im at 130k now..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tranny Fluid Lines

The leaks normally occur during extremely cold weather at the crimp joints. Check the surface under you vehicle for leaks. 10 years or 150k miles, whichever comes first.
To be sure that GM will honor the repair, go to your Chevy Dealer if you have a leak. Not sure they will reimburse you if you do otherwise. They did reimburse me the cost of one line and installation cost. Check with you local Chevy dealer to see what the deal would be for you. My dealer installed the after market kit for me (3 three lines) and it looks like I got credit for all the labor charge and the GM cost of one line. I'm just blown away. I have not had any problems with the lines for a year now. Looks like my dealer did a very professional installation. Hopefully as long as there is no rubbing anywhere I should be good to go. Just got 22.5 mpg (no payload) at 65MPH on I-95 for 111.5 miles. Love my truck!!!!:drink Competely stock w/ 245 65 16 tires. Why mess with success!!! Happy old-fart.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I received the GM letter Thursday, Feb 5th. and took the truck to the dealer on Monday, Feb. 9th. along with my receipt for the lines I bought from Alligator Performance. I received a check from the dealer for $162.00 on Friday, Feb. 13th. Never expected that kind of service!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Tranny lines on GM trucks have been doing this since the early 90's, nothing new.

Best thing to do is get a set of aftermarket lines like the ones from alligator and never worry about it again

·
Registered
267 Posts
I received the GM letter Thursday, Feb 5th. and took the truck to the dealer on Monday, Feb. 9th. along with my receipt for the lines I bought from Alligator Performance. I received a check from the dealer for $162.00 on Friday, Feb. 13th. Never expected that kind of service!
Sweet I got my letter too and had mine fixed at Alligator, I wasnt sure I would get reimburse for it.

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
I live in Alabama so I don't think the cold weather is playing a factor....not that cold here! Ha

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just to tag onto this thread - I just got the letter last week and turned in my receipts for the DRP lines and the dealer labor to replace them. They said they would submit it and get back to me. They didn't even bat an eye at the fact that I bought the DRP lines instead of the OEM ones.

Hopefully I will see a check soon too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 LMM CC dually and the trans lines came apart and all of the trans fluid came out on the ground. Was towing a trailer and and hit the accelerator and trans slammed in gear and then didn't move anymore. Had someone tow me off the road and got vehicle towed to dealership. Lack of fluid made transmission self destruct. $6000 later, fixed. Just picked it up yesterday. What a nightmare. Now I hear this.

·
Registered
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HC DRW 4WD
293 Posts
I have been noticing mine leaking since I bought it back in November. This is good to know. I'll run by the dealership on Tuesday my day off and see what they say. I haven't gotten a letter. Probably went to the previous owner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.