Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this is correct place to post this but I'm wanting to change the twist on filter on my tranny and I was planning on letting everything drain out and just replacing it with new fluid. the reason I'm coming to you guys besides my lack of knowledge in transmissions is since my 2002 has about 278k on it and my fluid smells a bit burnt, is this a good idea? tranny shifts fine but sometimes it down shifts kinda hard and out of the blue and during normal driving conditions. I'm almost 100% positive this filter has never been changed and neither has the fluid. also my fill tube has broken in half, I have a new one but from what I've heard it's a royal pain in the ass to change (any pointers on doing that would be awesome) I was planning on just putting some rubber hose around the break so it doesn't come off every time I remove the dip stick. any suggestions would be awesome thanks guys. probably planning on doing this either today or tomorrow because I'm going on a 9 hr trip to do some turkey huntin this weekend and would like it to be running right but if I run the risk of something bad happening I won't lol thanks guys.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If the fluid smells burnt, yes it needs changed. I change my spin on filter and tranny fluid every time I change the engine oil, along with replacing fuel filters. That's more than I probably should, but I do it anyway. The spin on filter should have a magnet on top of it to catch really small metal shavings, make sure to clean that up and stick it on the new filter. If it's not stuck on the filter, check on the trans where the filter screws on. It may not be on there because the previous owner may have discarded it. Here is a link to the thread with all the fluid capacities on it. I run Valvoline Dexron 3 in mine.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/maintenance/53822-duramax-fluid-capacities-torque-specs.html

On average, for someone to do all the work, it's been about $3800-$4500 to get one built. That's driving it there, dropping it off, and coming back and picking it up when it's all done. It will vary depending upon what you're wanting done and where you are located I'm sure. Those are just the price ranges I have gotten for what I'm wanting done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks man that was very helpful! reason I asked, and I forgot to mention this, is that I've always heard conflicting arguments saying if the fluid has never been changed don't change it because it might mess things up and vice versa...idk if that applies to our Allisons or not or if that's just an old wives tale...also thanks for the info on the built tranny I'd love to build this truck the way I want but those new dmaxs are pretty sexy lol so I'm kinda torn. gotta buy a house first though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one more thing, what do you guys do with the old tranny fluid? I know putting tranny fluid in your fuel tank helps clean things up but what about used/burnt fluid? is that ok to put in your tank?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't think I would ever put old used dirty fluid in my nice clean diesel fuel!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Why do you change trans fluid every engine oil change? Absolute waste of money and you are not benefitting anything by doing so.
I run synthetic engine oil on 12,000 mile change intervals. The truck doesn't get drove much, and when it does it's usually towing something fairly heavy, or getting drag raced. My oil changes are usually only a once a year deal. So, while I'm under there I go ahead and do the spin on filter and fluid. I may not be benefiting anything from it, but it's also only $65 a year I'm spending to do it. I'd rather have new stuff in the engine and trans every year even if it is under the recommended interval. :poke[1]: That is my fault though, I should've specified. If mine were a daily driver and I had to change the engine oil frequently, I wouldn't change the trans fluid every engine oil change.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I run synthetic engine oil on 12,000 mile change intervals. The truck doesn't get drove much, and when it does it's usually towing something fairly heavy, or getting drag raced. My oil changes are usually only a once a year deal. So, while I'm under there I go ahead and do the spin on filter and fluid. I may not be benefiting anything from it, but it's also only $65 a year I'm spending to do it. I'd rather have new stuff in the engine and trans every year even if it is under the recommended interval. :poke[1]: That is my fault though, I should've specified. If mine were a daily driver and I had to change the engine oil frequently, I wouldn't change the trans fluid every engine oil change.
A yearly basis is good. I thought you were doing it every 3000 miles or so.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Don't put ATF in your fuel.

Change the fluid in your transmission with Transynd. Drain and fill only. You will need 2 gallons of fluid.

Use only Allison brand filters. Order them online to save a bit of money. Make sure the magnet gets moved from the old filter to the new.

You can Band-Aid the filler tube with hose for a temporary fix, but change the tube out completely at the earliest convenient time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea I hear ya but I would think the fluid still has some detergent qualities to it so that's why I asked...plus it's still atf, why waste it when you can recycle it, diesel fuel ain't cheap lol
It's full of particulates that will turn your fuel system Into scrap. Microscopic razer blades.

yea that makes sense

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Don't put ATF in your fuel.

Change the fluid in your transmission with Transynd. Drain and fill only. You will need 2 gallons of fluid.

Use only Allison brand filters. Order them online to save a bit of money. Make sure the magnet gets moved from the old filter to the new.

You can Band-Aid the filler tube with hose for a temporary fix, but change the tube out completely at the earliest convenient time.

why not put atf in the fuel? I've had several people and shops tell me to use it as an additive.

any pointers to changing the tube? I had one mechanic tell me the tranny might need to be moved a little....is that true?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
If you want to run an additive, use something like Diesel Kleen or OptiLube.

I have never changed the tube. I wouldn't think you would need to move the transmission. How did it break anyway?

·
Registered
546 Posts
thanks man that was very helpful! reason I asked, and I forgot to mention this, is that I've always heard conflicting arguments saying if the fluid has never been changed don't change it because it might mess things up and vice versa...idk if that applies to our Allisons or not or if that's just an old wives tale...also thanks for the info on the built tranny I'd love to build this truck the way I want but those new dmaxs are pretty sexy lol so I'm kinda torn. gotta buy a house first though.
I think it's either an old wive's tale, or it's because of fluid flushes that reintroduce contaminants that have been sitting in the dark corners of the transmission. Allisons shouldn't be flushed anyway, so it's not a consideration.

·
Registered
546 Posts
one more thing, what do you guys do with the old tranny fluid? I know putting tranny fluid in your fuel tank helps clean things up but what about used/burnt fluid? is that ok to put in your tank?
Never in a million years would I put 300 000 mile transmission fluid in my tank. Nor would I ever put new fluid in there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I can't believe you guys have never heard of using atf as an additive....read this article.

Automatic Transmission Fluid Fuel - Alternative Diesel Fuel - Diesel Power Magazine

from what I've heard, diesel engines will run on anything petroleum based...now how crazy you want to go with that I dont know but I was recommended one quart of atf per fill up and I've used it several times already and my truck runs great. as far as benefits, I haven't done any mpg calculations while running it versus not so I don't know about that but I know it supposed to help keep things clean.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you want to run an additive, use something like Diesel Kleen or OptiLube.

I have never changed the tube. I wouldn't think you would need to move the transmission. How did it break anyway?

I have no idea, I went to check my fluid level and half the tube came with the dip stick, I guess rust. I did some research when i found it and I guess it's kinda common in these trucks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.