Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hauled a dodge quad cab ram on my trailer from minnesota to kansas chitty....i stopped half way at a rest area and noticed my trans dripping from the drivers side rear somewhere behind the shift linkage area...i couldnt find exact location of leak....my trans was running kinda hot but not all the way in the red....later on in trip i realized my cold weather grill cover was on and it was warm down south....by this time i already had unloaded the truck...i also was running tow haul (14mpg with level 2 on max energy)....the trip home i didnt get under and check but i didnt see any puddles underneath when i stopped for fuel...my question...could it have gotten hot and boiled out of a breather tube? And where would one be? It was wet from the top to the bottom but only on left side just a few inches up from where its mated to tcase...truck ran good and pulled great whole trip...

On another note i took a nap while wife drove....she ended up not seeing the truck was empty and we ran out of fuel...all the wat out....after a nice guy from AAA brought us some and helped me prime it we got back on the road...

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
908 Posts
It could have boiled over. What temperature was your gauge at? Our old F-350 we used to have got too hot and boiled all the trans fluid out once hauling 4 cars. Check your level, add more and take that winter cover off. They may help a little when its really cold but can spell bad news when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was only using it because my truck was warming up to 120 or so....even with the front on it wont reach 200 and even pulling down there it never got up to 200....the trans was a differnt story....it almost got up to the 300 mark a couple times

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
908 Posts
Just so you know, your engine temp gauge is off by +-30*. Usually the truck should run about 175-185. A litle cooler or warmer isn't a big deal. For us, towing four cars is rare to see over 200* on the trans. Try changing the fluid and spin on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no guage isnt off it was error on my part.....i meant 180.....and the fluids have been recently changed...it gets new trans fluid every 50k same with differentials...the motor gets new filter every 10k and fluid every 20k ( i think i just got truck and cant remember if its 5k-10k or 10k-20k) the sticker says when my next service is due....the truck has amsoil in everything so i think with the cold weather front it didnt allow the proper airflow and that caused it to boil over somewhere as i do not see any fluids dripping anymore

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
908 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe our thermostats are open at 180? That is a very normal operating range for these trucks. It sounds like yours is maintained very well. I think the winter covers are only reccomended in extreme cold. I bet if you just take it off you should be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts