Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 2002 lb7. My problem first started a few months ago. i was driving about 50-60mph, went to get on it a little bit and then all a sudden the rpms jumped up and acted like it was stuck in third gear. I took it easy the rest of the way home, when i parked in my driveway, i went through all the gears and noticed i didnt have reverse and the R was flashing. Shut it off went inside and got on the computer to do some research. Most everything i found was replacing the NSBU. Next day i started the truck and everything was fine. So i drove it for a while longer till it went into limp again, this time on the interstate trying to pass someone. So then I replaced the NSBU. While replacing i had a few codes that i cleared. P0234, P0700, P0735 and P0840. With codes cleared, i drove truck home and it went into limp again as i was trying to pass someone. I pull over, clear codes and the truck is fine again for a while. Seems like if i drive truck taking it easy, i have no problems. But getting on it at all, it goes into limp. Anyone have any ideas what the problem is? Any help will great. Truck is stock as far as i know. Just got it last fall.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Do you have enough transmission fluid in the system? Does it smell burnt or discolored? How many miles do you have on the truck?

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
P0735 is the incorrect 5th gear ratio code. Meaning that whoever the previous owner was must have ran the dog shit out of it with a tuner, then put it back to stock to sell it.

Sorry to say it, but you're going to have to start saving for a rebuild. Where are you located? Odds are there's a good shop within a days drive that can do a full build for not much more than a stock rebuild. And if you have any future plans for the truck that involve adding power, a full build will be the way to go, versus a stock rebuild.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
One other thing is that when i was replacing the NSBU, I noticed tranny fluid leaking from the bell housing. It seems to leak kinda heavily while running. I see red in the snow after moving the truck from where it was warming up. Im thinking TC seal. But my question is, Will low tranny fluid cause it to go into limp mode more often? There was one spell it seemed to limp every time i drove it. Noticed i was 2 1/2 quarts low, topped it off and now only limps once in awhile.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
also, are you running any tunes, mods etc., fill out your signature with truck details so it will be easier to come up with some possible ideas/solutions.
Similar thing happened to my truck, ended up that two clutches were burned, in my case, end result was a transmission rebuilt, but beefed up, good up to 600Hp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To 1953drtelco. I keep up on my tranny fluid after i noticed the leak. Truck has 220,000 miles. Tranny fluid seems to be okay, i changed all fluids and filters not long after i got the truck.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mine was throwing a solenoid low pressure code when it was low on fluid. Also did the range inhibited message also.

My TC seal was leaking. Removed the tranny and replaced it and shes good to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gr8shot. I live in central maine. I was fearing that it needed a rebuild and looked into it a little bit. i called the local chevy dealer and they want $3,300 for a replacment. comes with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
plugitin, how big a job was it to change the TC seal?

·
Registered
374 Posts
plugitin, how big a job was it to change the TC seal?
Wasnt too bad...yours might not be the seal either. Since yours is an 02. There are two bolts the hold the bellhousing that dont have copper washers on them, you need to pull the tranny and place copper washers under the heads. GM started putting the washers on sometime in 02.

You can pull that silver plug off and see if its running down from the seal.

Those are the two lower bolts you need to have washers on, and you can tell mine was leaking from the seal.

I took the opportunity to fix the rubbing issues in the transfer case also, hardest part was the torque converter bolts.

·
Registered
619 Posts
gr8shot. I live in central maine. I was fearing that it needed a rebuild and looked into it a little bit. i called the local chevy dealer and they want $3,300 for a replacment. comes with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty
$3300 for just the trans or a new converter aswell? Does that include the labour to drop and replace?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$3300 is for the trans with a new converter for me to carry it out the door and change it myself.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Another grand and you could probably get a built one. Unless you never plan on adding more power...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I too am from central maine my truck is at The Shop in limerick getting a ppe stage 5 kit he gave me a hell of a deal installed for 3500$ pm me if you want his info.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I too would recommend to get a built transmission if you can afford it, this will give you some 'playing room' for further mods and tunes.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
$3,500, that seems like a pretty good deal to not have to touch the truck myself. I'll have to get some info from you on this guy. How far is limerick form bangor area?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Truck went into limp again this morning on my way to work. Codes in the order they appear: P0735, P0700, P0234 PENDING, P0700 PENDING, P0735 PENDING. Does anyone know why codes repeat themselves as PENDING?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yea i thought so too it dont leave much room for profit of any sort but maybe he gets really good deals on parts? Limericks quite a tote from bangah. Its down by saco. Im from farmington it was about 2 hours to get to his shop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 27 Posts