Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 lbz,one local dealer recomends drop pan and replace the filter and fluid, next dealer says flushand change fluid leaving the filter in. First dealer says this is what allison recomends every 25,000 miles. I thought this was for severe service only, I don't tow. I just drive keeping my foot out of it most of the time. I have 30,000 miles with every thing stock, I have changed external filter twice and would like some input for longlife. Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Allison recommends changing the internal filter at rebuild. I drain fluid from the drain plug and replace and replace spin on every other oil change, and that's probably overkill.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would have a trans flush with a machine such as bg or wynns done at 50,000 or 30,00 for severe service (example:heavy loads, city driving)// most vehicles aplly to severe service// these are a lot better at getting the old fluid, contaminents and varnish out of the trans they use a flush addative that works awsome. if you want even more extended service intervals the gm recomend fluid for 100,000 mile service intervals is either Allison Transynd and I belive gm dexcron 6 not for sure on the dexcron but the transynd is in a gm bullitin for recomended extended life full synthetic fluid.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
I would have a trans flush with a machine such as bg or wynns done at 50,000 or 30,00 for severe service (example:heavy loads, city driving)// most vehicles aplly to severe service// these are a lot better at getting the old fluid, contaminents and varnish out of the trans they use a flush addative that works awsome. if you want even more extended service intervals the gm recomend fluid for 100,000 mile service intervals is either Allison Transynd and I belive gm dexcron 6 not for sure on the dexcron but the transynd is in a gm bullitin for recomended extended life full synthetic fluid.
EXACTLY what he said! ^^^^ :thumbsup

For longest life Id get the spin on replaced every 10,000 with the fuel filter. For the internal filter. Id change it at 30-40,000 then again at 100,000. Its not really recomended but will help with varnish etc. A tranny flush is nice but not a necesity. Just make sure to use the recommmended fluid at refill.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
60 Posts
Allison says not to flush these transmissions. I put the deep pan with new internal filter for the deep pan and spin-on filter, also switched toTransynd which is made by Castrol for Allison. If you want to flush it you can disconnect the transmission cooler return line and pump it into a 5 gallon bucket, stopping and refilling as to not run your transmission dry.Since I was switching to synthetic that is what I did. I had my wife start it and stop it while I monitored the flow and topped it off. It was quite easy to do. You just need 5ft. of hose and a 5 gallon bucket. I found it all at Lowes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do not recommend flushes to my customers. I have found on higher mileage trans's, if a flush is done, the friction material will delaminate off the steel backing and cause trans failure..and then it's rebuild time
Look in your owners manual and follow the recommendation there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I believe that pumping the old fluid out using the transmission's designed fluid cycle, starting the truck and draining into a 5 gallon bucket a little at a time will not harm it as long as it does not run dry. The way I did it, there is no machine connected to the it. I was switching over to Transynd and wanted to get all of the old fluid out without having to do several fluid changes. It's nice to know the reason why, as I was wondering why Allison said not to flush.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to dealerfor warranty question, while talking to service manager who said to drop pan and replace filter, his head tech came in and says they never change internal filter. He says all they do is drain filter and change spin on, they don't flush any transmissions. Now I don't feel confident in their ability to perform what figured would be a common maintenance procedure. Brainstorm! I'll call GM service line. 45 minutes later I'm told by a woman who has checked her computer, put me on hold twice, then checked with a tech and called me back. flush and change internal filter. Why is it so hard to give one solid answer for a procedure that is required to maintain warranty. Any further advice and help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went to dealerfor warranty question, while talking to service manager who said to drop pan and replace filter, his head tech came in and says they never change internal filter. He says all they do is drain filter and change spin on, they don't flush any transmissions. Now I don't feel confident in their ability to perform what figured would be a common maintenance procedure. Brainstorm! I'll call GM service line. 45 minutes later I'm told by a woman who has checked her computer, put me on hold twice, then checked with a tech and called me back. flush and change internal filter. Why is it so hard to give one solid answer for a procedure that is required to maintain warranty. Any further advice and help will be appreciated.
The proper procedure for trans service on an Allison is simple and straight foreward and can be found in GM Service Information.
Drain the fluid and replace the spin on filter.
Go back to the service manager and have him pull up the procedure for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was looking at putting a deep pan on mine anyone have anything good or bad to say from one to another

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts

The two reasons I changed the internal fiter, I switched to a deep pan which calls for a different filter, and I switched to synthetic fluid(Transynd). If you are just doing a fluid change there is no need to change the internal filter. You do need to change your spin-on filter which you can get from an Allison dealer at a better price. I disconnected the cooler return line and drained it into a bucket and refilled it so I wouldn't have to do a couple of more fluid changes to get switched over to synthetic. The fluid is quite expensive, $30-$45 per gallon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Which pan did you get and where do you get your fluid from. for some reason even though there are a ton of diesels in my area i have a hard time finding anything but dexron III I would like to switch to transynd I have 24000 on my truck now and when I remove the pan at 30 For the internal filter I plan on doing the pan switch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used the Allison Deep pan. You can find an Allison dealer near you from the Allison web page in the upper right corner under "locator". Pan was about $55, internal filter was about $20. the pan gasket can be reused if you take care in removing it.
Standard Spin On #29539579
Allison Deep Pan #29536522
Deep Pan Filter #29537966

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks hopefully it isnt my local dealer. I went in there today to order an owners manual becuase mine didnt have one when i bought the truck, and some tranny fluid because no one in town had more than 2 quarts. He looked it up to make sure how much fluid I needed Luckily i knew. I am pretty sure he is still confused, the guy actually told me 06 doesnt have a six speed allison which is funny since the truck sitting outside most definitly has one

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks hopefully it isnt my local dealer. I went in there today to order an owners manual becuase mine didnt have one when i bought the truck, and some tranny fluid because no one in town had more than 2 quarts. He looked it up to make sure how much fluid I needed Luckily i knew. I am pretty sure he is still confused, the guy actually told me 06 doesnt have a six speed allison which is funny since the truck sitting outside most definitly has one
There are 5 Allison dealers in your area, you can record the serial number from your transmission(It's stamped on a plate fastened on the passenger side of your trans). I would take that number to one of the Allison dealers first to get a manual. GM dealer will probably want 3x more for the same thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
their site is pretty good i didnt realize it but my dad works for one of the the allison dealers im calling him right now

·
Registered
60 Posts
their site is pretty good i didnt realize it but my dad works for one of the the allison dealers im calling him right now
How Great is that? You know that you will not get taken to the cleaners. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
They are a heavy equipment co. so I didnt think about it. I was asking him about Transynd and if they used it. He told me in their Equipment, which is a different animal i realize, they have had some issues with it,but that allison really praises it in their over the road stuff

·
Registered
60 Posts
From what I've seen all of the Allison dealers focus on the heavy equipment and big rigs. I haven't had any issiues with Transynd, it seems to work very well. The nice thing about your situation is, you can get the deep pan and filter and the spin ons for a good price.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts