Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

transmission maintenance

12K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  wildturkey_hunter 
#1 ·
2006 lbz,one local dealer recomends drop pan and replace the filter and fluid, next dealer says flushand change fluid leaving the filter in. First dealer says this is what allison recomends every 25,000 miles. I thought this was for severe service only, I don't tow. I just drive keeping my foot out of it most of the time. I have 30,000 miles with every thing stock, I have changed external filter twice and would like some input for longlife. Thanks.

#3 ·
I would have a trans flush with a machine such as bg or wynns done at 50,000 or 30,00 for severe service (example:heavy loads, city driving)// most vehicles aplly to severe service// these are a lot better at getting the old fluid, contaminents and varnish out of the trans they use a flush addative that works awsome. if you want even more extended service intervals the gm recomend fluid for 100,000 mile service intervals is either Allison Transynd and I belive gm dexcron 6 not for sure on the dexcron but the transynd is in a gm bullitin for recomended extended life full synthetic fluid.

#4 ·
EXACTLY what he said! ^^^^ :thumbsup

For longest life Id get the spin on replaced every 10,000 with the fuel filter. For the internal filter. Id change it at 30-40,000 then again at 100,000. Its not really recomended but will help with varnish etc. A tranny flush is nice but not a necesity. Just make sure to use the recommmended fluid at refill.

#5 · (Edited)
Allison says not to flush these transmissions. I put the deep pan with new internal filter for the deep pan and spin-on filter, also switched toTransynd which is made by Castrol for Allison. If you want to flush it you can disconnect the transmission cooler return line and pump it into a 5 gallon bucket, stopping and refilling as to not run your transmission dry.Since I was switching to synthetic that is what I did. I had my wife start it and stop it while I monitored the flow and topped it off. It was quite easy to do. You just need 5ft. of hose and a 5 gallon bucket. I found it all at Lowes.

#7 · (Edited)
I believe that pumping the old fluid out using the transmission's designed fluid cycle, starting the truck and draining into a 5 gallon bucket a little at a time will not harm it as long as it does not run dry. The way I did it, there is no machine connected to the it. I was switching over to Transynd and wanted to get all of the old fluid out without having to do several fluid changes. It's nice to know the reason why, as I was wondering why Allison said not to flush.

#8 ·
I went to dealerfor warranty question, while talking to service manager who said to drop pan and replace filter, his head tech came in and says they never change internal filter. He says all they do is drain filter and change spin on, they don't flush any transmissions. Now I don't feel confident in their ability to perform what figured would be a common maintenance procedure. Brainstorm! I'll call GM service line. 45 minutes later I'm told by a woman who has checked her computer, put me on hold twice, then checked with a tech and called me back. flush and change internal filter. Why is it so hard to give one solid answer for a procedure that is required to maintain warranty. Any further advice and help will be appreciated.

#10 ·
I was looking at putting a deep pan on mine anyone have anything good or bad to say from one to another

#11 ·
I like it.

#13 ·
Which pan did you get and where do you get your fluid from. for some reason even though there are a ton of diesels in my area i have a hard time finding anything but dexron III I would like to switch to transynd I have 24000 on my truck now and when I remove the pan at 30 For the internal filter I plan on doing the pan switch.

#14 ·
I used the Allison Deep pan. You can find an Allison dealer near you from the Allison web page in the upper right corner under "locator". Pan was about $55, internal filter was about $20. the pan gasket can be reused if you take care in removing it.
Standard Spin On #29539579
Allison Deep Pan #29536522
Deep Pan Filter #29537966

#15 ·
Thanks hopefully it isnt my local dealer. I went in there today to order an owners manual becuase mine didnt have one when i bought the truck, and some tranny fluid because no one in town had more than 2 quarts. He looked it up to make sure how much fluid I needed Luckily i knew. I am pretty sure he is still confused, the guy actually told me 06 doesnt have a six speed allison which is funny since the truck sitting outside most definitly has one

#16 ·
There are 5 Allison dealers in your area, you can record the serial number from your transmission(It's stamped on a plate fastened on the passenger side of your trans). I would take that number to one of the Allison dealers first to get a manual. GM dealer will probably want 3x more for the same thing.

#17 ·
their site is pretty good i didnt realize it but my dad works for one of the the allison dealers im calling him right now

#18 ·
How Great is that? You know that you will not get taken to the cleaners. :D

#19 ·
They are a heavy equipment co. so I didnt think about it. I was asking him about Transynd and if they used it. He told me in their Equipment, which is a different animal i realize, they have had some issues with it,but that allison really praises it in their over the road stuff

#20 ·
From what I've seen all of the Allison dealers focus on the heavy equipment and big rigs. I haven't had any issiues with Transynd, it seems to work very well. The nice thing about your situation is, you can get the deep pan and filter and the spin ons for a good price.

#21 ·
any one who doubts the effectivness of a trans flush read this. last week was driving home, I have an edge box and watch the moniter constantly after the trans got to opperating temp the thing started slipping bad not 5-10% more like 20-60% imedeatly pulled over inspected fluid and fluid level ok started out again got up to top gear and was fine for about 10 miles even tried level 5 hammering down no slip then all of a sudden 60% slip :( pulled over again. turned on tow/ haul mode 1st through 4th no slip 5th boom slip 5th gear was slipping baddly what got me was that it was intermintent, not constant for three days it did this.

performed a trans flush with a bg machine and let the cleaning agent sit in the trans for a while shifting the trans with a tech 2. for the last six days have been enjoying a totally new trans no more slip, firm smooth shifts and the shift pattern actually seems better seems to pull hard through the gears now.

the only bad side is that the little time the trans did slip may have caused some burnt clutches but not any thing to worry about 1-2% slip.

#22 ·
Allison does not recommend flushing because of the possibility of de-laminating the clutch disks and a foreign substance from the machine used. If it worked for you, that's great.

#33 ·
I was wondering about that. I've seen it happen twice. Both times two different buddies. Each bought a new to them used truck. I think one had about 100K miles the other I'm not sure. Both decided to flush the tranny and Bam in hardly no time total tranny failure. Mechanic said clutches delaminated. He also said if the fluid hasn't been changed by 100k never ever change it or you will risk this happening.

#23 ·
has any one ran type f in there ally have heard runnin the gritty stuff can actually extend the life of a tranny desighned for dexcron in performance applications was wondering what experience if any people have had using this fluid and no i did not use type f when i did my flush.

#24 ·
Type F has no friction modifiers, it REALLY bangs on regular automatics to the point that a Turbo 350/400 or 700 series will become pretty much unstreetable, strip use only. I don't have any specific info about the 1000 series Allys, but I wouldn't want to use mine as a ginea pig!

#25 ·
Being in the preventive maintenance business, I really can't understand the "no flushes" recommendation. Maybe the techs who say this are used to dealing with quick-lubes that dump a bunch of "flush" chemicals into the transmission and let it cycle?

A proper transmission fluid CHANGE involves the use of a fluid exchanger. For our clients, we do this with a top-notch machine by Mighty, which is very similar to the Wynn's or RTI units. The machine does do a complete fluid exchange, putting new, clean fluid into the transmission lines while matching the pressure of the old fluid. Using this process, we get nearly 100% of the old fluid out of the system, and have NEVER had a customer return with a problem. We've done as many Allison transmissions as others this way.

As I said, maybe it's the "flushing" chemicals that are delaminating the friction materials [as RCH said], but we don't use them. It's really something to see the old vs. new fluid after the exchange process is complete...even on low-mileage (15-20K miles) vehicles.

#26 ·
OK, I am new to the diesel seen. I have recently purchased a 2004 GMC 2500 HD (6.6L Duramax) Has Banks Monster exhaust. 103,600 miles. (LUV THIS TRUCK!) looks and rides like new
got home and went through the owners manual, crawled under, over and around pretty much the entire truck. Previous owner didn't tell me much about it. So I thought it would be good idea to start fresh. Noticed that the "oil life" was @ 2%. So I changed the oil with Rotella T 15W-30 and a new oil filter. New Wix fuel filter. Did all of the other ususal checks. Then came the Trans.
What to do? Fluid looks blood red and smells very clean (not burnt). There is still an allison brand spin on filter on the vehicle.
Should I Flush? Should I do a internal and external filter change?
ANY SUGGESTIONS

#27 ·
Welcome to the forum, these are great trucks. Since everything looks good I would just change the spin-on, but don't buy it from the stealership, find an Allison dealer in your area. You will get the same exact filter but you will pay about $10 instead of $40. If you decide to go to synthetic ATF you would want to change the internal filter. If you change the spin on everytime you change your engine oil you will be fine. Have fun with your new truck.:gearjamin

#28 ·
Thanks RCH,
Appreciate the quick response. I did get to put this truck through its' first test today. I hauled a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan from my home to New Caney, TX through 5:00 PM Houston Traffic. This goes from crawling to "Flat-out-gett'in-it" about 50 times in 40 miles. Outstanding power, and braking. And looked good do'in it. Trans temp 150-160 deg F, engine temp 208-210 deg F. in typical South-Texas January weather. 75 degrees and 100% Humidity.
Thanks for your insight!!!!!
rondmart

#30 ·
The next pull will be the boat, head'in to the water. Cause I am mad at dim fishes

rondmart
I guess you will have to keep looking in your rear view mirror just to be sure it's still back there because it tows so effortlessly you don't even feel it. When I towed my son's car on a trailer that's what I did because it didn't feel like anything was there.

#31 ·
Trans maintenence

I was through Houston again today and while I was there and had a little down time, I punched the Tom Tom and found an Allison Rep. Picked up a spin on filter($13.95) and some
Dex3. I will get this little task done before this weekend. I can now explore other areas of the truck. All I need now is a tool box. I don't like all my "stuff" rolling around in the back of my truck. Would like to get a diamond plate alluminium (black) tool box. kinda dress it up and be functional too.

rondmart

#32 ·
From my experiances with people getting trans flushes,don't do it.Horror stories I've been told on many differant makes.Bottom line flushes cause trouble with shifting .I would drain oil and change spin on filter.Tranny flushing seems to be a scam and creates trouble in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.