Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn’t locate any answers to my problem, so, I’m asking again.
My transmission started overheating this morning. Running red with warning info on dash. No previous warnings. Transmission level fluid is correct, color ok. No leaks no smell. I have stock engine with no upgrades. 2001, engine is LB7
Any advice?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is your tranny cooler blocked by debris?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trans fluid + flush and filter replaced by dealer 145000 (transfer case replacement). I'm 175000 now 20000 to go by manual.
How I'm going to find debries.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Chances are the flush knocked sme crap loose in the trans and is plugging the cooler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s possible, but, will be expecting that happen sooner, than after 20000 miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
maybe ur instrument cluster is messed up, i got an 04 n my gages r screwed gotta replace it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for help. Unfortunately I’m replacing whole transmission this week, and I’m not happy about it. By technicians at GM dealership, torque convertor is going bad. My choices, overhaul with limited warranties, or, replacement with more warranties. Replacement it is.
Thank you all

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Why are you goin through the stealership on this? For what you're goin to spend gettin a replacement through them, you could have a bad a** built trans with as much or more warranty. Just a thought:drink

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Why are you goin through the stealership on this? For what you're goin to spend gettin a replacement through them, you could have a bad a** built trans with as much or more warranty. Just a thought:drink
X2. The only, ONLY way I'd get any transmission work done at the dealership is because of a pre-existing warranty. GM GoodWrench is nowhere close to even a Jasper rebuilt, much less some of the beefed up monsters out there for a few bucks more that will outlast the engine.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
A stage 5 suncoast is only 800 bucks more than a GM replacement tranny!!Don't get it from GM!!

My options were:
a used 6 speed w/6 months warranty.........3500 bucks!
a NEW GM/Allison unit w/100,000 mile warranty...5100
Suncoast 5 tranny WITH 1056 TC[less core]..............5900 and change!

but hey it's your money dude!!:eek::eek::eek:

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
X2. The only, ONLY way I'd get any transmission work done at the dealership is because of a pre-existing warranty. GM GoodWrench is nowhere close to even a Jasper rebuilt, much less some of the beefed up monsters out there for a few bucks more that will outlast the engine.
Where are you to push Jasper transmissions?Just curious,cause they have a guy 10 miles from me that handles Jasper,but I heard they aren't much of a match for the torque diesels have....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow!
Surprised, someone actually rearing what I wrote :).
Didn’t put more detail because I thought, no one will read this thread anymore.
GM did the assessment, and priced for $5200. That is expensive. I found deal for $2200 (original Allison rebuild w/3Y/unlimited miles) + $500 labor and + disposal and +tax.
Locally, no one is “beefing transmission”. I love to get some. My truck is stock anyway :-(.
But on such hurry, this is pretty good deal. And, it is still very expensive seat back for me.
Thank you for suggestions

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
hope you got a fresh converter and a new cooler(s) or at least had them checked out. Without ample flow through the coolers you will be finding another trans soon. You ahve an external cooler as well as a small cooler in your radiator. Very capable of getting plugged.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Wow!
Surprised, someone actually rearing what I wrote :).
Didn’t put more detail because I thought, no one will read this thread anymore.
GM did the assessment, and priced for $5200. That is expensive. I found deal for $2200 (original Allison rebuild w/3Y/unlimited miles) + $500 labor and + disposal and +tax.
Locally, no one is “beefing transmission”. I love to get some. My truck is stock anyway :-(.
But on such hurry, this is pretty good deal. And, it is still very expensive seat back for me.
Thank you for suggestions
That doesn't sound so bad, just be careful who you buy from. Make sure it's a reputable shop that will stand behind the warranty. I wasn't trying to push a built trans on you, with a stock truck you should never need anything more than a stock trans. I just didn't want you gettin ripped off at the stealership. Good luck, hope it works out for you :drink

1 - 16 of 16 Posts