Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pulled my boat home last night around 40 miles. On the highway, something just didn't feel "right". Exited interstate, checked tires, noticed pulling away a vibration when cruising around 45mph and a funny knocking noise of a short duration, but the vibration was most apparant. Drove to work today and thought I would examine closer at lunch. Walked to the truck and was greeted by about a quart of transmission fluid below the truck. underneath, could see it dripping from crossmember, but couldn't tell where it was coming from. Limped it to the local stealership where they immediately started talking about about burnt clutches and destroyed transmissions. Anyone have any ideas? I would just like to educate myself.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
tried searching threads?????

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
my drivers side hub bearing went last week.....tried jacking up the truck and checking the hubs??Or like he said,checked the t case for fluid?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
exactly. I hate that place, but was just in a panic when i saw fluid under my truck. Thanks. Been searching threads and it looks as if vibration is not a good thing. Damn dealer says transmisson is shot before he even looks under it. Waiting for a call from him.

·
Registered
809 Posts
x2 on the transfer case,check it really good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealership just called. Said a stuck rear u-joint caused transfer case pump to rub a hole in transfer case and busted the transmisson housing. $6K to repair. Can anyone else offer advice?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
yea, tell the guy he's an idiot, the u-joint didnt cause that. GM, design flaw, look @ merchant-automotive.com there is a write up about pump rub and how it starts, also how it can be fixed. id be suprised to find out that the trans housing is busted, likely just the t-case. go check it out and see

·
Registered
809 Posts
yea, tell the guy he's an idiot, the u-joint didnt cause that. Gm, design flaw, look @ merchant-automotive.com there is a write up about pump rub and how it starts, also how it can be fixed. Id be suprised to find out that the trans housing is busted, likely just the t-case. Go check it out and see
^^^^x2^^^^^

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I had a truck i'd already be there. lol. Looking for repair options. Gotta a guy who wants to pick it up and install Jasper components. One thing for sure it's leaving the dealership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Nice call on the t-case pump rub. Gotta 1/2 pencil sized hole exactly where its supposed to be. Dealership is trying to explain to me that the frozen u-joint ie my negligence caused that also and I'm not buyin it. Anyone have any luck patchin the hole? I only ask cause i also have a cracked "tailpiece" on the tranny the last section that the t-case bolts to. You can actually grab t-case and move it up and down and watch the crack open and close. Neither ran outta fluid but t-case prob only had 3/4 quart to my eye. And those kinda funds aren't just lying around at the moment. I would like to save t-case repair for a few weeks until I finish a home addition that I am doin. There goes my profit. I would like to thank each of you for your help and humbly ask does anyone have any more ideas/suggestions? Im up against a wall here. Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.