Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a ppe hot race tuner for my 2007.5 lmm. how much power can the stock transmission handle. id like to tune it to level 3 which is 160hp seting. will this cause any problems? also with a 4 in mbrp dp back no muffler and cat and tuned at 90 hp no black smoke out the back...what gives?

·
Registered
182 Posts
It is all in how you drive your truck you can put it on level 5 and as long as you drive it with care it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have a ppe hot race tuner for my 2007.5 lmm. how much power can the stock transmission handle. id like to tune it to level 3 which is 160hp seting. will this cause any problems? also with a 4 in mbrp dp back no muffler and cat and tuned at 90 hp no black smoke out the back...what gives?
If you would do a search, you will see that most people believe 450 is the most your going to want to put on a stock tranny. BUT, there are many out here running far more than you and I, and have had no significant problems with their transmissions at that higher power level.
Overall, it's all going to depend on how you drive it. Like most OD transmissions, stay out of the higher gears (5,6) if your really get on it, and technically you should be fine. The lack of pressure on the 4-5 and 5-6 shifts will burn up the clutches if your too hard on it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Running level 4 should yield your best mileage. Even on level 4, mine blows out very little smoke. PPE seems to run some pretty clean tunes. As long as you don't "drive it like you stole it" your trans should last. When I had my trans done, I had 20,000 miles on it and had been running the level 4. Some of the clutches did show signs of burning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running at the higher levels do I need to modify my air box at all or wil the stock one move enough air?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Running at the higher levels do I need to modify my air box at all or wil the stock one move enough air?
I have heard that a stock box is worth 500hp. I picked up an AFE just becasue I got it used for 100 bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts