Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my LBZ last year, and it has been down because the truck needed a lot of work (replaced the entire front end suspension, brakes, steering, etc). Well, that's all done now, and I wanted to do a refresh on the transmission to keep the thing as durable as possible. I have a feeling I need to replace the flex plate due to every 3rd start the starter grinds against something (thought it was the starter, replaced it, and it still happens). It'll eventually catch and start, but I'm assuming it's time to replace the flex plate in case it's a time bomb waiting to happen.

Because I'll be doing that, I figured it would be a good time to replace the TQ converter and any gaskets, etc that should happen while I'm in there. The truck will see some mild-medium desert off-roading, and LOTS of towing my racecar around mountainous terrain. I tend to overbuild things, because I like bulletproof drivetrains, so I wanted to get recommendations on flex plates and TQ converters as well. I'll probably do a tune and basic bolt-ons, but nothing crazy on the engine, so I don't want to get too crazy, but I'd rather have something that gives me some headroom with reliability.

I did some searching, and ran across doing an LML converter over an aftermarket for a more mild upgrade, but also read that the pressure is different so you have to be careful? I'm new to automatics, so I'm not entirely sure what they were talking about. I also read that the factory flex plates crack easily, so getting an aftermarket one is a good idea. Any other recommendations are appreciated as well.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I think socal diesel makes a flex plate, thats where id burn my money. As for trans, transgo jr trim valve upgrade. Ive heard of guys using the lml convertors, but honestly i havent heard about issues with pressure you might wanna think about a regear on the diffs if your gonna run the big tires and be towing, your trans will thank you. The reliability of everything will rest entirely in your right foot, and as your discovering, these trucks are not cheap to fix.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Call Mike L. at Inglewood Transmission. He is a few hours away from you, but he is one of the best in the business. He will tell you exactly what you should do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think socal diesel makes a flex plate, thats where id burn my money. As for trans, transgo jr trim valve upgrade. Ive heard of guys using the lml convertors, but honestly i havent heard about issues with pressure you might wanna think about a regear on the diffs if your gonna run the big tires and be towing, your trans will thank you. The reliability of everything will rest entirely in your right foot, and as your discovering, these trucks are not cheap to fix.
Re-gear even with 33's? And yeah, I knew they weren't cheap going in. I got the truck for cheap because it needed work, but so far, I'm still in the green! I'm sure it'll be close by the time I'm done though (vs buying a super clean one right off the bat). I'll check into the other things as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call Mike L. at Inglewood Transmission. He is a few hours away from you, but he is one of the best in the business. He will tell you exactly what you should do.
Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
What did you end up going with on the trans? I am interested in having some work done vs building a trans for mine as well. Sometimes it seems to downshift a little rough right as I'm coming to a stop... I am assuming its on it way out since it has 220k miles.

no idea if its worth refreshing, or just having a good shop like Mike L build one...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts