Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just used Clark Power Services. They are a licensed Allison dealer and they do full mechanic services. Built my tranny to hold up to 1000hp. They are in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I have been pretty happy with them and the work late/early hours with onsite services

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Called Calvins in Sulphur LA today. Apparently they stopped doing trans work as of the 1st of the year. Anyone got a builder in west LA or east TX?

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
You try underdround diesel performance and see if they do but Mike L at Inglewood Transmission is just a short drive over in Los Angeles

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Any Shops in Jersey???

·
Registered
173 Posts
@BlownL36 right over the NY border in Pearl River, NY
Ron's Quality Automotive

Reactions: BlownL36

·
Premium Member
393 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
@bigf19 Thanks for the heads up! Good shop?
@BlownL36 Yes,
Ron is a good dude, I worked for him 20 years ago, he worked for Atlantic Detroit Diesel Allison for years as one of Allison's main tech's back then.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Utah?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any good ones in or around Memphis that anyone knows?

·
Registered
15 Posts
NEED HELP Asheville, North Carolina

Original post: "I have a 2005 Duramax with 125,000 miles. Stock other than I recently did egr delete, pcv reroute and efi live tune. NO problems before this but have "limped" the transmission 3 times since these mods. driving highway speed 60-70? mph and hit the pedal to pass. transmission felt like it popped out of gear and then was revving really high. pulled over and had no reverse and check engine light was on. Shut engine down and set for a minute. restart and trans was back to normal and reverse was back, but check engine light stayed on until driving awhile it went out. I brought truck to shop $600 later shop said all good. They dropped the pan and said no metal in it, changed fluid, filter and transmission range sensor. Truck did exact same thing not long after this service. It has done this total of three times in same scenario. The code reads "incorrect 5th gear ratio" Have I screwed up the tranny? Is there a fix? Is it the tune? I'm running on the race tune +190 Horse extra ( I have a dial I can tune it down, but I'm running the max tune for fuel mileage not the power, but I hit it to pass and it does this. Should I just dial it down? Is the damage already done? was it from the tune? I've been told that the efi live tune is "transmission safe" and that it was not the cause and that it was an underlying transmission issue that would have come up eventually anyway. Anyone offer any advice? Just drive more mellow? tune it down? new tranny? (drives fine until I hit it hard and goes into "limp") Any input is appreciated. Thanks."

quote: "A good builder will take your existing trans out of the truck and replace the internals with parts that have been designed to withstand the extra power. He will also install a beefier torque converter. It shouldn't take more than a day.

Or... you can pull your trans, ship it to say, Mike l. In California, he'll use that for a core charge and ship you a brand new crate trans.

In the forum section, under transmission, there is a "sticky" thread that details transmission mechanics that forum members have used and recommend.

As a bonus, when it's done, you'll be able to have big, built trans tunes flashed onto your efi live. That'll give ya the kick in the seat you've been craving lol"

.....I never did this to get "the kick in the seat" ...It was supposed to just be a bonus. I looked in the transmission "sticky" thread and unfortunately there are no transmission/diesel mechanics listed in Western North Carolina / Asheville area. If anyone know of a reputable shop I would appreciate the info! ... I won't be pulling the trans myself or shipping it - I don't turn wrenches myself, but I appreciate those that do! Thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Phoenix Arizona

COPPERHEAD DIESEL in Mesa. Shawn builds all Allisons IN HOUSE and has his $#!+ together. He won't blow smoke up your skirt selling you the highest price parts raved about on the internet. He will explain in clear terms why he recommends what he uses in his builds and and how they compared in REAL WORLD testing to (X, Y and Z) brand.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Find it interesting out of the 115 posts, not one shop in jersey. Here's my contribution:

New Jersey, Monmouth County, Eatontown, NJ
Von Kattengell Transmission
Owner: Eric Von Kattengell

732-542-0015

Rebuilt by Allison on my 03, did an excellent job. Knows his stuff and an honest guy.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Find it interesting out of the 115 posts, not one shop in jersey. Here's my contribution:

New Jersey, Monmouth County, Eatontown, NJ
Von Kattengell Transmission
Owner: Eric Von Kattengell

732-542-0015

Rebuilt by Allison on my 03, did an excellent job. Knows his stuff and an honest guy.
Thank you for posting this. I’ve waited for a shop in NJ to come across here. What did he do to your 5-spd Allison? Just freshen it up?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I’ve waited for a shop in NJ to come across here. What did he do to your 5-spd Allison? Just freshen it up?
Hey just got a chance to stop. He did a total rebuild. It Grenaded after I had another shop install the Trans Go Jr kit. He rebuilt the whole thing using Allison’s kit and an ATS stage 3 TC was installed. Install with new drive shaft bearing and driveshaft balancing and transmission relearn through Tech 2 was $4500.

·
Registered
12 Posts
PREMIER TRANSMISSION
5035 HEINTZ STREET BALDWIN PARK CA 91706
Specializing in Allison transmissions for 40 years. Can do anything from repowering any truck to have a Allison, to 2000 HP builds.
I am the owners grandson, you can contact me anytime at 9093437028

101 - 120 of 120 Posts