Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transmission Guru's,

I have had a problem with my transmission shuttering. I have reset the tcm several times with no resolution of the problem. I changed my spin on filter tonight and took a short ride with no shutter. The Shutter seems to come and go but; I did notice that there must have been some vibration that I had gotten used to because the truck was riding smooth as silk. My questions are could a dirty spin on filter cause shutter and if so, could this same dirty spin on filter have caused any long term problems for me down the road. I know it is hard to answer these to questions without seeing/driving the truck but, I am curious to what you guys think. The drive was short but, my truck drove/rode 100% better, I hope the shutter is gone for good!!!!:D

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think starving the tranny for fluid could cause shutter but, want some insight from you guys.

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
your converter is giving up that is what you are feeling

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Why would the coverter give up on factory to 50 hp? The programmer has been on less than four months and I baby the truck.

I guess that is one vote for torque converter and against dirty filter.

·
Registered
926 Posts
How many miles do you have? To me it sounds like maybe the balancer thing on the rear end yoke. They mess up alot.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have about 48,000 miles on it.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess time will tell if it has stopped for good but, rode awefully good tonight.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It hasn't been to the dealer because some key emission componets are missing.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Whenever there is a shudder ot shifting concern at my shop, aside from checking any DTC's, we do a power flush with a solvent on the transmission first, and then add some additive to the new fluid. I would say 8 times out of 10 it fixes hydraulic related shifting issues. Have you ever fully flushed your transmssion?

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whenever there is a shudder ot shifting concern at my shop, aside from checking any DTC's, we do a power flush with a solvent on the transmission first, and then add some additive to the new fluid. I would say 8 times out of 10 it fixes hydraulic related shifting issues. Have you ever fully flushed your transmssion?
It was flushed around 25,000 miles because I decided to go with synthetic fluid. I might try it again because if I'm having tranny/torque converter problems then, allison tranny's are weak tranny's.

Thanks for the info I knew there had to be another solution but, it will be easy enough to figure out if it never shutters again.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
this is on ur 08 , week trany NOT, race tune on my stock trany for 2 years , with not issues , lack of maintenance , or driver error with big tunes, or a lemon

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, my 08. Must be a lemon then cause it never had a race tune in it. I baby the truck. If this tranny is smoked then allison's are junk. If it can't handle a old man driving it. Also, I change the spin on every 10K.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I definietely wouldn't say allisons are junk by any means. But this isn't also to say that the person...or machine that built yours screwed it up. Even the Cummins guys and the Powerstroke guys envy the Allison. Hope you can get yours figured out though.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hammered on my 01 dmax with a programmer and never had any problems, this one all the sudden can't handle easy driving. If it were a lemon or faulty tranny I would think the problems would have started before 40k on the clock but, who knows.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Should I go ahead and get another VIN liscence for you?

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may have to do that, when I get home I really want to talk with you about efiLive.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts