Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I picked up a 2002 donor truck, with duramax and 4 wheel drive allison, nothing else left on it but the drive train, my plan is to put this into a 1985 chevy pickup, it's a 2 wheel drive, and I wanna keep it that way.

I read that just the tailshafts and end housing are different on the, 4wd - 2wd allisons, just wondering if anyone knows where to buy the housing? seen a billet housing that was made by suncoast? on the interwebs, I don't see them on their site tho. And it was to convert a 2wd to 4wd. Or would it be easiest to find parts from a wrecker? I would really rather buy new tho, as most wreckers around here figure used parts should be worth approx 98% of new parts ....

Also, the security on this thing... anyone know what could be used for that? I think all the passlock stuff is in the column on this year? and don't want to swap steering columns, if I don't have to :)

If anyone has any pointers, articles, pictures anything would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I cant help you out a lot, but I would start by sending some e-mails to a couple of the EFI tunners and maybe even PPE. PPE i belive has a stand alone harness for the LB7 and I'm sure one of the EFI guys could point you in the right direction for the PASS lock question. Also on eBay once I saw a guy who was selling a CD with the info he compiled on doing a similar swap, I think his was an LLY into 85 4x4. You could also PM Mike L and ask him about the 2wd trans, I seem to remember him talking about picking up some here and there but the 4X4 ones being of more use to him and other trans builders.

·
Registered
536 Posts
So yesterday I picked up a 2002 donor truck, with duramax and 4 wheel drive allison, nothing else left on it but the drive train, my plan is to put this into a 1985 chevy pickup, it's a 2 wheel drive, and I wanna keep it that way.

I read that just the tailshafts and end housing are different on the, 4wd - 2wd allisons, just wondering if anyone knows where to buy the housing? seen a billet housing that was made by suncoast? on the interwebs, I don't see them on their site tho. And it was to convert a 2wd to 4wd. Or would it be easiest to find parts from a wrecker? I would really rather buy new tho, as most wreckers around here figure used parts should be worth approx 98% of new parts ....

Also, the security on this thing... anyone know what could be used for that? I think all the passlock stuff is in the column on this year? and don't want to swap steering columns, if I don't have to :)

If anyone has any pointers, articles, pictures anything would be great.

Thanks!

i have a 01 with the 2wd ally in it. i would be willing to trade you all of my 2wd stuff u would need for the ally for your 4wd stuff, if u are interested pm me thanks

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cant help you out a lot, but I would start by sending some e-mails to a couple of the EFI tunners and maybe even PPE. PPE i belive has a stand alone harness for the LB7 and I'm sure one of the EFI guys could point you in the right direction for the PASS lock question. Also on eBay once I saw a guy who was selling a CD with the info he compiled on doing a similar swap, I think his was an LLY into 85 4x4. You could also PM Mike L and ask him about the 2wd trans, I seem to remember him talking about picking up some here and there but the 4X4 ones being of more use to him and other trans builders.
I seen that harness from ppe, guess I will have to inquire with them about it, thanks for the heads up about the ebay find, I'll definitely be looking into that one!

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a 01 with the 2wd ally in it. i would be willing to trade you all of my 2wd stuff u would need for the ally for your 4wd stuff, if u are interested pm me thanks
Which stuff are you talking about? the tranny as a whole or just the back housing and shaft? I really don't know much about this truck yet, I was 'told' it has 136,000 kms on it, and by the looks of the frame (paint on it still), bushings (still in decent shape), springs (no wear marks inbetween spring pack), it is probably true. How many kms/miles on yours?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I make standalone duramax harnesses..

The security/passlock can be defeated in the ECM software with EFILive, no need to keep the stock passlock hardware or stock steering column.

Ben

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I make standalone duramax harnesses..

The security/passlock can be defeated in the ECM software with EFILive, no need to keep the stock passlock hardware or stock steering column.

Ben
Oh you do? what kinda money you need for such a thing? :drink

Ok, good i'll have to poke around in efilive, I just got it so haven't played with it a bunch.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had PPE build my harness for my 86 and yes the allison is the same except for the rear housing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Which stuff are you talking about? the tranny as a whole or just the back housing and shaft? I really don't know much about this truck yet, I was 'told' it has 136,000 kms on it, and by the looks of the frame (paint on it still), bushings (still in decent shape), springs (no wear marks inbetween spring pack), it is probably true. How many kms/miles on yours?
either or whole trans or just pieces to make it 2wd prob cheaper to ship just pieces but my truck has alot of miles on it like 364,000 lol.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
either or whole trans or just pieces to make it 2wd prob cheaper to ship just pieces but my truck has alot of miles on it like 364,000 lol.
Pieces would be fine by me, yeah that is a few miles, I would assume there is a bearing in that housing that is replaceable tho right? I will probably end up getting billet shafts, so I'm really not to worried about the wear on it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Pieces would be fine by me, yeah that is a few miles, I would assume there is a bearing in that housing that is replaceable tho right? I will probably end up getting billet shafts, so I'm really not to worried about the wear on it.
ya only one bearing on the tailshaft and its replaceable. but i have drove it quite a bit and no leaks or vibrations so all the parts are good, let me know... i can get u whatever u need i will be converting mine to 4wd anyway if we trade...

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya only one bearing on the tailshaft and its replaceable. but i have drove it quite a bit and no leaks or vibrations so all the parts are good, let me know... i can get u whatever u need i will be converting mine to 4wd anyway if we trade...
Sounds good, I won't be tearing that thing apart for a while tho, I just rolled my 03 in the shop about 10 mins ago, gonna be building up the tranny and other things over the next week, and depending on work I won't get to that 02 right away, if that will work for you as well? I do wanna get it outta the frame before snow for sure tho.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sounds good, I won't be tearing that thing apart for a while tho, I just rolled my 03 in the shop about 10 mins ago, gonna be building up the tranny and other things over the next week, and depending on work I won't get to that 02 right away, if that will work for you as well? I do wanna get it outta the frame before snow for sure tho.
no prob i got plenty of time, just not patience or money lol

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no prob i got plenty of time, just not patience or money lol
Cool, I'll keep in touch, and I hear ya, I have patience but lack the money and time :rof

·
BANNED
789 Posts
Why are you going with 2wheel drive?

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why are you going with 2wheel drive?
Because it's a 2 wheel drive to begin with, right now it has a 350 and sits about 2 inchs off the ground, I wanna stuff some huge power in it, was originally gonna do a big block gas engine, but I just can't get enough of duramax power.

I don't need another 4x4, I want a hot rod now, after I tub the box and stuff a 4 link with air ride and some huge meats under it, I will probably start taking it to the track or just have it for sunday drives lol

·
BANNED
789 Posts
I hear u! Sounds like a sweet rig:rockin

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear u! Sounds like a sweet rig:rockin
Should be when all said and done, its a project tho, it won't happen over night, maybe next 2 years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts