Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Thought I'd share this info about getting a spare ignition key for my 2006 3500 HD 4x4. I had read that there is a built-in GM security system called Passcode where there is a chip embedded in the head of the ignition key that is sensed by the ignition switch.

After doing some research, it seems like the 2006 3500 HD doesn't have this system, which means you can have a spare ignition key cut at the local hardware store.

If your ignition key has markings on the key shaft (like a '+' sign inside a circle) then the chances are that its a transponder style 'Passcode' key. If not, then no need to worry about buying the more expensive transponder type keys.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Tex

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi

Thought I'd share this info about getting a spare ignition key for my 2006 3500 HD 4x4. I had read that there is a built-in GM security system called Passcode where there is a chip embedded in the head of the ignition key that is sensed by the ignition switch.

After doing some research, it seems like the 2006 3500 HD doesn't have this system, which means you can have a spare ignition key cut at the local hardware store.

If your ignition key has markings on the key shaft (like a '+' sign inside a circle) then the chances are that its a transponder style 'Passcode' key. If not, then no need to worry about buying the more expensive transponder type keys.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Tex
i think the the key is a resistive element, there is a procedure to 'program' the key with you truck(maybe leave truck in the on position with the key)...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts