Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trany overheated now it goes into gear hard

My dads 06 duramax with the allison trans overheated now it goes into drive , reverse and neutral hard. you have to stand on the brake pedal to keep it from moving. also if you keep your foot on the brake while on the gas the truck wont go over 1000 rpms is this normal?

The trans got to around 300 because it was left in drive for about 3 hours while it was stuck so we changed the fluid and filter right after. There was no clutch material in the fluid it just had a strong odor. Also there are no lights on. Whn shifting from drive to neutral the rpms jump and when going from neutal to reverse the truck jumps. same thing with drive.

these symptoms only happen when the truck is warmed up.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
No codes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dads 06 duramax eith the allison trans overheated now it goes into drive , reverse and neutral hard. you have to stand on the brake pedal to keep it from moving. also if you keep your foot on the brake while on the gas the truck wont go over 1000 rpms is this normal?

·
Registered
584 Posts
How hot did it get?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Better question is why did it overheat?

Have to checked fluids?

Change Spin on?

·
Registered
872 Posts
in the red? what the heck does that mean a temperature would help.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
only one thread is needed....Merged them...do not start another one.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
sounds kinda like an older vehicle i had when i burnt up my converter. were u going forward and reverse alot? did you happen to let the tires completely stop moving before doing so? been there done that...manuals are for rockin not autos

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sounds kinda like an older vehicle i had when i burnt up my converter. were u going forward and reverse alot? did you happen to let the tires completely stop moving before doing so? been there done that...manuals are for rockin not autos
The truck was pulling a dumP trailer and got stuck so my dad left it in drive while pulling it out with cumalongs

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
oh....well i was just dumb when i burnt mine lol. i tried rockin mine outta some snow. lol lesson learned.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts