Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was looking at tires and came across these. I know nothing about them, but i've seen a few reviews that were good, but none of them were 3/4 ton or bigger trucks. They have a fairly aggressive 285 mud terrain for only $106. Just wondering if anyone's used these or knows anything about them. I'm curious because the site says pickups and SUVs, so thanks in advance. -Garrett

And here's a link by the way- http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/55/sename/28575r16-guard-dog-mt-d.aspx

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anybody??? or am i just an idiot for posting this???

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
it has been mentioned I remember but I think guys are afraid to use them?

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Eh thats a decent price compared to a new tire. But, I have seen the recap tire come apart under heavy loads. With the dmax weighing so mutch and hauling loads its worth a extra $50 a tire to not blow the side of the truck apart if it blows on the highway :eek:
yep.........

·
Registered
476 Posts
they werent treadwrites but i had a set of retreads on my truck in high school, they were the best set of tires ive ever owned. im gonna need tires the end of this summer, and im pretty sure im gonna go with the treadwrites, BFG knockoffs
probably didnt help but thats my.02

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh thats a decent price compared to a new tire. But, I have seen the recap tire come apart when they heat up under heavy loads. With the dmax weighing so mutch and hauling loads its worth a extra $50 a tire to not blow the side of the truck apart if it blows on the highway :eek:

Id definatly throw it on my 1/2 ton :rockin
i was thinking the same thing, but they use them on semis all the time.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
My uncle has a set on his winter vechile and they are studded and he loves them.

·
DIESEL MANIAC!!!
1,222 Posts
as long as you keep them aired up they won't blow. low air pressures are what hurts recaps

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
i was thinking the same thing, but they use them on semis all the time.
I use them on my drive tires on my tow trucks all the time as well. The differnece in a pickup truck tire is the tires flex alot more when weight is on them. IDK.... I dont have any scientific knowledge I just wouldnt use the recaps on something as heavy as the duramax with a standard truck tire that will be pulling alot of weight. :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
435 Posts
You loose weight capacity with retreads

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Recaps,uhm where do i start!
recaps for the most part are only as strong as the casing they are glued to so in truth you dont loose weight capacity with recaps the only real loss is longevity depending under what conditions they are run! why do i say that,if you put recaps on a farm truck that only goes on 10-15min trips and hardly ever goes above 50MPH they will last a long time but take the same recaps and put them on long trips with higher speeds and they wont have the longevity if a virgin tires in 90% of the cases! also there is a HUGE difference in longevity of a cap depending what rubber the capper uses to cap and the type of glue they use!
more or less what i'm saying is if you use your truck the way MOST people do recaps are NOT the answer for you but if you only drive the truck around the farm or something of the sort then recaps can easily do the trick! hope that all makes sense!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just put them on my 2004 duramax and going to pull my 26 ft camper. have looked up reports on treadwright and read research papers on the subjuct and going to go with my gut and try them out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nice. let me know cuz i'm one sidejob away from biting the bullet on some new meats.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not sure what brand of recaps they are but i have 3 buddys that haul a lot of tractors(antuiqe tractor shows) and run the BFG A/T recaps and 2 of them havent had a bit of trouble out of them on their Dodge 1tons, 1 dually and 1 single rear. But my other buddy has a 2500 D-Max single cap long bed ond has blew 3 of the 4. Personally i love my coopers for the same application. My .02$

·
Registered
625 Posts
recaps are a joke. 95% of the tires i change at work are recaps that threw the cap and
blew. any tire can blow a sidewall. but its expected for a recap to come loose. i will never buy a recap tire b/c generally they just cost you more money. virgin tires FTW!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts