Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just bought an LB7 and want to start monitoring it before I go crazy with mods. I'm planning on a 4 inch turbo back, PPE boost valve, and some mild efi tunes for now until I have some spare change for a built transmission. I was a triple pillar pod, with at least a boost and pyro gauge. Boost I'm going with 60 psi gauge, and I'm not sure about pyro. Also, what should I get for a third gauge? Coolant temp? Fuel Rail pressure? how many pounds should I get? Any help would be greatly appreciated! P.S, I'm going with the AutoMeter Cobalt gauges. Thanks guys/gals! -Mike

·
Registered
964 Posts
I would do fuel rail pressure and a 2000 degree pyro.

I have a similar set up except I have 0-60 boost, 0-2000 pyro and oil temp. I use an insight cts for everything else

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The best thing for gauges is get an edge cs/cts it worth the money in the long run after the money you spent of 3 gauges plus the pillar mount an time to install you could of just gotten the cts or cs for the same or a little bit more an if you plan on doing efi live some day you have the monitor to watch everything an adjust your power levels. An its cleaner looking IMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the cts is probably a better choice, I just love the look of the pillar gauges. What would you guys recommend for a third gauge if I'm getting boost and pyro for my first two? I already have trams temp in my dash

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Fuel rail pressure

·
Registered
599 Posts
I know mine is only a 2 pod pillar mount but I would suggest boost, pyro & CTS in your 3 pod. Or get a 2 pod and use the CTS for EGTs. You need a real boost gauge as the CTS will only read max boost @ 22psi on LB7s & LLYs.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I know mine is only a 2 pod pillar mount but I would suggest boost, pyro & CTS in your 3 pod. Or get a 2 pod and use the CTS for EGTs. You need a real boost gauge as the CTS will only read max boost @ 22psi on LB7s & LLYs.

Where did you get your gauge pod from? and did it come with that factory color?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Mr Manners (Willie @ Synthetic Motor Sports) He's a site vendor. I painted it a factory match paint that I also bought through him. Great deal and awesome to deal with!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Nice setup, I'm debating on the dual pillar. It'd be cheaper but I can just see myself changing it to a 3 pillar in the long run lol

·
Registered
599 Posts
Nice setup, I'm debating on the dual pillar. It'd be cheaper but I can just see myself changing it to a 3 pillar in the long run lol
Honestly I was thinking about a tripple but am glad I went with only 2. The placement of the top gauge on the 3 pod seems so high. Now I'm only 5'5" so that could be why but I think if I had bought the tripple the tope gauge would be almost useless for me.

I really think a real boost and CTS is the best way to go and most economical way to see the most important of the engine vitals and the added ability to monitor pretty much everything else if you choose!

If you really want the 3 pod I would suggest, Boost and EGT gauges and the CTS for rail pressure + anything else you want. Just remember a rail pressure gauge is really only helpful if you know what the demanded pressure is and can compare it to the actual.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly I was thinking about a tripple but am glad I went with only 2. The placement of the top gauge on the 3 pod seems so high. Now I'm only 5'5" so that could be why but I think if I had bought the tripple the tope gauge would be almost useless for me.

I really think a real boost and CTS is the best way to go and most economical way to see the most important of the engine vitals and the added ability to monitor pretty much everything else if you choose!

If you really want the 3 pod I would suggest, Boost and EGT gauges and the CTS for rail pressure + anything else you want. Just remember a rail pressure gauge is really only helpful if you know what the demanded pressure is and can compare it to the actual.
Does the CTS have an adapter that fits into the regular gauge hole in the pillar? It looks like that on yours but I wasn't sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts