Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All started yesterday morning when I tried to start my truck, it started but died once I started to back up. Took a while to get it going. I bleed the fuel filter and primed it and it started up. Drove to town to get new tires on about a 45 min drive. The shop had a hard time starting it back up after the tires were installed so I went and pick up a new fuel filter. On the way home I was at a stop light and the truck started to die, I floored it enough to pull over and it just died. Waited a few minutes and it started right up. Drove about 10 miles and slowed down to make a turn and it died again, waited and started back up. This morning I installed the new fuel filter and took it for a test drive and about 5 miles as I was slowing down it died again, turned around and as I pulled into my drive it died again. Seems only then slowing down that it dies.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Sounds like you have a leak in the fuel filter housing--[common] ! The fuel system injection pump pulls fuel from the fuel tank, through the fuel filter and filter housing. So any leak in the system, which operates on negative pressure, will cause the problems you describe. There is no fuel pump to pump the fuel.

Several Forum supporting vendors have parts to re-seal the housing, and even new housings at reasonable prices. The local GM dealer vary-- can charge up to $500 for the housing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new filter I bought was all plastic and not metal. I also notice my fuel line from the filter to the FICM was all dry and crack on the end.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts