Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
07 Truck in Shop, Bad Injector on Backorder- Please help

Hello everyone. I'm new to Diesel trucks and this forum. I bought a 2007 2500HD Classic Duramax last year and it now has 79K miles. 2 weeks ago the truck started knocking at low RPM and sometimes a loud knock then spit black smoke that quickly turned blue/grey. I could let off the gas to stop the knock and accelerate and things would seem to be ok. It progressively got worse as I drove it to the shop. Its still under the 100K warranty. The dealership said it has a bad fuel injector. Bad news is that its been 2 weeks and the dealership cant tell me when it will be fixed as there is a worldwide shortage of injectors and they are on back order wtf:. Apparently no dealerships in the area have them either. I'm beyond pissed at this point GrrRRrr. What can I do? HELP MEEE

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Called the dealership and GM today and still no ETA.

So I've read a few reports about bad injectors from 2001-2004 era, but is it common for a 2007 to have bad injectors with only 79K miles? Are the injectors that hard to change for a do-it-your-selfer garage mechanic with common tools? I dont know the failure modes of these injectors, but if its due to bad fuel, is changing the fuel filter more often than ~10K miles and/or running some fuel additives worth it?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
It wouldn't be too bad changing them yourself on your year truck since the injectors are outside of the valve covers. They're a pain on the early models cause they are underneath, so it takes alot more time. And no, the LBZ models like your truck do not have common problems with injectors like the early years. Changing the fuel filter at 10k seems to be fine for everyone, it is a good interval. I run additives and some 2-cycle oil to lubricate mine as much as I can. To get your fuel even cleaner, you can put a lift pump from PPE on and it'll filter the fuel even more. Always fill up at station where diesel is used alot... Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Yellow dog -you're the second person I've heard of this week with LBZ injector backorder. He also has just one bad one. I have customers with 400-500K miles and no injector issues. There are varied schools of thought on lubricity-antigel treatments. Search on here and educate yourself and then decide what you're comfortable with. I personally have used them in all my trucks and will. Some people have never used any- FWIW

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
sit around and wait.

if it's under warranty, it's not something you want to do youself.... because that includes actually buying the injectors. lol. and they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
^^ I agree. Let the dealership mess with it. And as far as additives go, Power Service Diesel Kleen, found in Wal-mart, seems to be working for people. It is what I use every tank. They have a summer blend (gray bottle) and winter blend (white). People also like Stanadyne, although it can be hard to find (around here atleast). And of course, Amsoil makes some fuel treatment. Search around on here with the search button up top, because there are alot of threads already pertaining to this issue. You will find so much info you can read for days. Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been trying to google search about why the LBZ injectors are on back order. Haven't found anything yet. If they are supposed to be so reliable and not many people are having issues with them, why are they in short supply? Doesnt make sense to me. I assume the LBZ stock injectors are Bosch?
Another weird thing was a few weeks before this happend my check engine light came on and the code had something to do with the variable vane sensor. The CEL went off and then when it started knocking and spitting smoke it never came back on.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
The variable vane sensor would have to do with your turbo, no relation to injectors troubles I don't think.

·
Vanned this place
8,122 Posts
I BOUGHT one new lbz injector earlier this year from g m. Box says made in Japan. And I read somewhere Bosch is moving a plant. I d k, maybe the tsunami took out the plant. Just a wild guess thats probably wrong.....
F w I w. I'm at 336,000+ on original injectors. But I had one getting close to +2 on the last balance rate check so I bought it. Haven't needed it yet, but I got one :)

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Someone probally ran a big tune on it, they don't last forever at high pulse widths................................

The vein code probally came from the EGR not being block while being run on this big tune.......................

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Someone probally ran a big tune on it, they don't last forever at high pulse widths................................

The vein code probally came from the EGR not being block while being run on this big tune.......................
Smokinlmm- My truck is all stock, I haven't done a thing to it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update- Dealer finally got an injector and put it back together and when they ran a test 2 other injectors went bad. They said that they think its bad fuel causing the problem. They ran some injector cleaner though and it got better, but still not right. So now I wait another week or more for 2 more injectors to come in....
I replace the fuel filter every 10K miles or whenever the engine diagnosis reads 50% life. Need to figure out where I bought diesel at the last time and never go back!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I run the power service diesel Kleen And I know of alot of people that do the same. It's good stuff.

·
Vanned this place
8,122 Posts
the injectors are backordered cause the dealers want to try to screw you out of $50 of your core charge. I paid 150 core charge at one dealer and another dealer said the core was 100

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yellow Dog,
For what it is worth, I am in the same boat as you. Have you tried calling GM customer service, I have found them to be helpful in my case. If you want to see my saga check the "Injector Availability" thread.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts