Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the other day I left my gps charging in my truck for about a week when I went to start it battery was dead so I hooked my car up to my truck the volts on the bully dog gt read 13.4 when i cranked the truck it wouldnt start at first took a few tries craking it for about 10 seconds each time. After it started i let the truck run for about 30 mins. The next morning truck was dead again had the same issue starting it, this time i drove the truck around and let it run for about an hour. Truck started fine for about 2 weeks then this morning truck was dead after having not started it for a few days. Had a hard time jumping it again when I got off work. Also when I crank it there is a little white smoke coming from around the turbo. Mods are cai, bully dog gt, 5' straight pipe and no codes have been thrown.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and in the mornings temps have been around 30 degrees maybe a little colder. Glow plug light is coming on then shutting off a second later like normal.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
You should fill out your signature line so we know what vehicle you are talking about.

Sounds like it is time for batteries, but it usually takes longer than 30 minutes of running to recharge the batteries. Charge them and take them to a auto parts store to have them tested. :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh sorry 05 LLY bully dog gt, lbz mp, 5' straight pipe, cai.

·
Registered
877 Posts
what was your voltage while cranking? if its under 9.5v or so your ecm doesnt have enough voltage to operate and your truck wont start....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what was your voltage while cranking? if its under 9.5v or so your ecm doesnt have enough voltage to operate and your truck wont start....
when it wouldnt crank the first time it was 9.6 or so but when i charged it to 13v it still was having trouble craking.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Still sounds like weak batteries.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Even with the batteries reading 12-13 volts you could still have a dead cell in one or both of the batteries resulting in low cranking amperage. You should have your batteries load tested.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had same problem last year. Fought it for 2 weeks. Finally replaced Both Batteries and everything is fine now. At more than $150 for batteries, I hate to say, Just replace BOTH batteries. Have you yet?

·
Dead beat seller!
1,060 Posts
if you have the stock ac delco batteries in there than thats your problem i have talked and those batteries dont do so well in the cold or at least in south dakota they dont

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well the other day I left my gps charging in my truck for about a week when I went to start it battery was dead so I hooked my car up to my truck the volts on the bully dog gt read 13.4 when i cranked the truck it wouldnt start at first took a few tries craking it for about 10 seconds each time. After it started i let the truck run for about 30 mins. The next morning truck was dead again had the same issue starting it, this time i drove the truck around and let it run for about an hour. Truck started fine for about 2 weeks then this morning truck was dead after having not started it for a few days. Had a hard time jumping it again when I got off work.
When jump starting, you need more than just the volts, you need the amps to go with it and a good heavy duty 4 ga set (or bigger) of jumpers along with a big 8-D or pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries in series. Chances are, your car battery had a hard time because it doesn't have the proper amperage for jumping a diesel.
It takes awhile to completely charge both batteries if they were dead. Put it on a charger over night. Check the acid level just in case and charge each battery separately in case one has a bad cell or internal short.
If all you have is your alternator, then you need to drive at least 200 miles or more without using the lights or any accessories such as the defroster which uses the A/C.
If charging over night doesn't solve the problem, then it is probably time for new batteries.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts