Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this has been asked before but i need help or answers....
I have a 04 with hypertec max energy on level 3......only choices it ever gives is levels and tire size....should there be more setting i can change...anyone have expierience with this programmer?? Also it doesnt move if i stomp on throttle but takes off like a raped ape if i only go 1/4-1/2 throttle....im new to duramax completely....i know diesels take a min to spool up turbo but it isnt doing anything(full throttle) til turbo spools

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Anything done to your truck besides the hypertech?
The governor is set for 95mph, which is why it's redlined at that point. So if that programmer doesn't change the governor setting, you won't be going any faster then that.
You should think about switching to EFI. It will solve all your questions in one shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exhaust and intake.......trans has the valve body done and a triple disc torque convertor.....i guess even thou the box says top speed adjustment it must not have it on the programer like my ram.....
How does efi live work? Does someone come in and run thier tune or do you buy a programmer yourself?
I need to find someone here in minnesota to help me i guess....even on level 3 it wont spin the tires unless you do u brake stand

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
EFI is essentially a reprogramming of points on your ECM. It's not a canned tuner like the Hypertech. You can buy an Autocal or V2, get tunes from a tuner, and load them onto your truck. Or you can buy/exchange a tune loaded ECM. Or you can take it to a tuner, and they can load the tunes for you. You can get 1 tune, or you can get multiple tunes with a switch to change between them. You can have tunes for everything, from 2 mph Valet setting, to towing turbo brake, to max power blow the engine up, and everything in between.

EFI Live is so awesome it has it's own section on the forum. Check it out, do some reading, and make a choice. And if you decide to go that route, there are many tuners out there, but the most respected around here are Nick (DuramaxTuner), Kory Willis, and my personal choice IdahoRob.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Was your 04 the LLY or LB7? if the 8th digit in the vin is a 1 you have an LB7 if it's a 2 you have a LLY.

If you have a LLY you may need to shim your FPRV. At full throttle your fuel pressure may be pushing the relief spring open, and causing no response, while at 1/4 throttle your pressure doesnt spike quick enough to open the relief valve.

I agree with JHill. Get EFI Live and call it a day, as far as tuning and adjustments goes.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You could buy my BANKS programmer. It has pretty smooth power and you can also eliminate the top speed limiter as well as adjust for tire size. PM me for more info. Would be a cheap alternative to EFI live.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the lb7....and thats pretty much what had been concluded that its the hypertech programmer....time to save money and sell it

·
Registered
201 Posts
EFI Live is the way to go and don't piss around with other programmers. Mine had an Edge when I bought it then I had a Diablo Predator, then a PPE, and now I'm in the transition of EFI but had some issues with my ECM being locked up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts