Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck rides much better empty than when towing my 5th wheel. Trailer weighs 11500 empty, 14250 gross, never have weighed it though.
Supposed to be around 2300 pin weight empty. I have a trail air air ride pin box. Air bags are inflated to whatever to bring ride height back up to level. I have the Ride tech level ride with Fox shocks.
Truck rides much better empty since I change the rear cab mounts with the new style.
Going to Moryde tomorrow to get the independent suspension & disc brake upgrade. Hope that help take some stress off of the truck as well as the trailer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The IS and disc brake upgrade should be done on all trailers that don't have disc brakes. Buttt..... It won't change the ride in the truck. A pin box upgrade will do the most good for the truck ride. The Moryde pin or Demco GlideRide work well. I have always used the GlideRide with excellent results.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
58 Posts
That is the same pin I removed to install the Glide Ride. The up and down cushion is good for the trailer when the truck rear tires hit a pot hole but it does nothing for the truck.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the same pin I removed to install the Glide Ride. The up and down cushion is good for the trailer when the truck rear tires hit a pot hole but it does nothing for the truck.

That's kind of what I was thinking, let's the truck move too easy. Sure seemed like a good idea the air ride.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Since your going to Moryde for the IS I would just get their pin box too.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Too much air pressure in the Trail Air?

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
If you could be a bit more definitive in your description of the ride issues, some of us may be able to help. FWIW I have the Trail Air pin box as well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since your going to Moryde for the IS I would just get their pin box too.

I was thinking about it.

Too much air pressure in the Trail Air?
Usually keep it at the height that is marked on the shock, have tried it lower too.

If you could be a bit more definitive in your description of the ride issues, some of us may be able to help. FWIW I have the Trail Air pin box as well.
Any crack in the road, concrete seams in the road, bridges, they all seem to rattle the whole truck with the trailer on it.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
This may be moot but Is your trailer balanced correctly? I wonder if too much is loaded up front? How does the trailer sit when connected on level ground?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This may be moot but Is your trailer balanced correctly? I wonder if too much is loaded up front? How does the trailer sit when connected on level ground?
Never weighed it, had it level for most of this trip but I raised the 5th wheel back up because I didn't have much room camper to box. So now it will be a little high in front.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
That may be part of the issue. Also note that will put more heat on the rear tires of the trailer.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
It would be very difficult to diagnose you issues without first weighing the rig.

Your pin weight may be too heavy/too light. The camper is not configured (weight wise) properly. And, not towing level brings on a whole new set of issues.

I would recommend that before you start throwing a bunch of money at camper/truck/hitch parts you should first weigh the entire rig including truck and camper separately and then the entire rig taking special note of rear axle weights empty and with the camper hooked up (read: pin weight). You may save yourself some money and aggravation by properly accounting for and adjusting what you already have.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I get home after the upgrade on the trailer I'll weigh it & put the other pin box on & try it out. I'm sure I'm slightly over weight for the truck.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Is your truck lifted or leveled? That can cause poor towing characteristics in some cases. Also, is your hitch pin located ~2" in front of the rear axle? that is generally considered to be the ideal location for best weight distribution between drive and steer wheels. If you are behind the rear axle, it can cause a lot of "porpoising" and poor steer characteristics. I didn't notice what hitch you have, I pull with a B&W Companion and it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I raised the truck 3/4 in in the front when I had different tires on so they wouldn't rub. The pin looks like it's maybe just ahead of c/l of the axle. I wish it was ahead more. I just have a Reese 15K 5th wheel trail air pin box.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I raised the truck 3/4 in in the front when I had different tires on so they wouldn't rub. The pin looks like it's maybe just ahead of c/l of the axle. I wish it was ahead more. I just have a Reese 15K 5th wheel trail air pin box.

For 10 yrs I had my front torsioned up. Last Jan I put it back to stock lifted height and it’s night & day! I love the way it rides “normal “. Wished I’d done it sooner. Towing is enjoyable again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
If your front suspension is not resting properly on the jounce bumpers you will never get it to ride properly especially while towing. Double check your pin center relative to the rear axle, you need a plumb bob, a 24" framing square and a long straightedge to really check. If these two things aren't right, no amount of pinbox changing, adjusting or trailer leveling will help.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Truck ride great on the front, just the rear hit so hard on the cracks in the roads. But I'll check it out, I'm going to get it on the scale too.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts