Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, had the issue with the old tires, but I just installed new Michelins 285 70 17s on the truck. I have done alot of research and have read it can be anything from retaining clips on the rear hubs, ball joints, wheel bear hub assembly, steering gear box warped rotors. Anything else I need to look at?

The issues is progressively getting worse. By worse I mean initialy I could only feel it slightly right before a stop. Now I can feel it at about 0-40 MPH. It is not constantly happening at that speed and it seems the harder I hit the brakes, the worse it feels. I don't feel any pulsing in the brake pedal, but it is bad enough now it shakes the entire truck.

Did the 200 have the retaining clip issue with after market rims?

If I turn the rotors, do I have to replace the brake pads?

What pads will help keep this from happening again?

Recent work done to truck includes transmission removal in install. Isuse was present prior to transmission. New wheel bearing hub on drivers 20k miles ago, passangers side, last weekend, ball joints 20k miles ago.

I'm basicly look for a list of things to check, how to check them, so I can start checking this weekend. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I just check my rear lugs and didn't see any retaining clips, however, the dirverside wheel bearing hub hat about a 1/4 of play when I shook it from the top and bottom.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Could be bearings, ball joints, or warped rotors in my opinion! The play in the wheel is not a good sign at all, I would say that would be bearings when you shook it by hand

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had my truck sitting on the ground and when I tried to move the centerling I could hear a knockin coming from the pitman arm. Could this also be apart of my problem.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My dads jeep used to shave violently when brakes were applied....it was just that the brakes were so worn out...how old are your brakes?

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
If the truck kis shaking with the brakes applied, then the problem is in the brakes. If the steering wheel is shaking when teh brakes are applied, then the rotors are warped. they will need to be replacedvideally, or at least machined. If the pads are ok then you can re use them. When you tear it apart, make sure the pads move free in the brackets that they are clipped into. Also, make sure teh pins slide nice and free also. GOOD LUCK!

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
I would not reuse the brake pads if they have been used and broke in on the current rotors. Even if you turn the rotor the pad could have uneven wear & totally trash the rotors. Then you will buy pads and rotors not too long down the road.

As far as the shaking, I would think it could be warped rotors. If your hub has that much play, change that first though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts