Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 've got an aptwith the insurance adjuster tomorrow to look at some tornado damage on my truck. Basically just ab 25-30 hail damage sized dents, and some scratches. Nothing major. BUT, it's an 02 cc/sb with 172k on the ticker. Took it by a local body shop and he said dent removal and spraying the entire truck will run me $4,500-$5k. Told him afterwards that insurance was going to look at it tomorrow to do an appraisal. He said if he was looking at it for an insurance company he would say $8500-$10k. Trucks bank loan is only $12,3XX. 75% is roughly $9,200. After that the truck will be totaled out and I'll have to buy it back. Like I said, just small scratches and small but numerous dents. If I have to buy it back it'll come with a rebuilt title. I've got wheels that will be here Wednesday, and new Trail Grappler MT's at the shop now. Am I better off saying that the front/rear bumpers were already dented in hopes of keeping the truck or say the tornado did it all, and buy it back. I'm trying to get a new coat of spray and a tranny kit out of this. So which way do yall think I will benefit the most when it comes to the coin. I don't plan on getting rid of the truck, so a rebuilt title doesn't concern me. When I get ready to get another, this one will become a track whore/weekend ride/work truck when it's running haha. Any input welcome!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Any Pics? As far as the bumper dents, don't tell if they don't ask. If they do ask, thats up to you. They can't prove it when it comes to a tornado. Other than that I don't have much to say until it gets appraised. My guess is if its just a few panel replacement, body work here and there, and refinish truck it's going to be close to 75%. When it gets up there they look at overall condition and make the decision. If they do total it, buy it back, go to salvaged and buy a bed and other panels you need then have it sprayed. You could come out pretty good, take lots of pics so if you decide to sell it you can show the buyer that it was all cosmetic damage. Some people freak out when they see a scratched title and sometimes its not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pics really. Just picture 30 quarter/nickel sized dents on the hood and down the drivers side. A lot of the scratches can br rubbed off with your finger with only the smallest white line remaining. Like you took it in the woods and a tree limb brushed down the side. It's nothing major whatsoever. Just a bunch of dents that will be quicker and easier to replace with panels rather than bondo or drilling holes, pulling, welding, grinding, sanding, spraying, etc...

The bumper on the front has a small scuff ab the size of your hand. Back one isn't that bad. All the windows are fine minus the front glass has 3 small spots. I was thinking it would be ab $3500 to fix. After all, a friend that owns a body shop quoted me $2500 but it'll take a month to get back seeing how he's a picky ass whose slow but does DAMN GOOD work, hench the slow and picky...

Idk. I'm just wondering if this is going to come back and bite me in the ass...

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Don't say anymore than you have too.. And if its as bad as you say they will probably total it. And you will be able to buy it back for about 3800 put your stuff on it and drive it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put my stuff on it? You mean fix it with new parts or are you talking ab taking the exhaust and tool box and stuff off before I buy it back?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Put my stuff on it? You mean fix it with new parts or are you talking ab taking the exhaust and tool box and stuff off before I buy it back?
I thought you said you just bought some new tires and stuff for it that hasn't came in yet! Is the Stuff i meant. And ya I would take your stuff off it before they come look at it unless it has damage also.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I gotcha. Nah the toolbox is fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts