Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short my truck sat for about 4 months, went to drag it out today and could not get it to fire. It would start with some starting fluid so it's a fuel issue but I'm not very knowledgeable about diesels as this is my first one. Where should I start?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please do not use starting fluid in a high compression diesel. It can blow the rings out. Catastrophic failures can occur.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,254 Posts
Did you check to see if you lost prime at the filter head?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you check to see if you lost prime at the filter head?
I had to google what you said lol but yes I lost prime. I primed it until I couldn't press it anymore and it fired up and ran for maybe 30 seconds or so and shut back off and would not start back up.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,254 Posts
If you lost prime, you have a leak, sucking air.
Push the prime button until firm, then start.
Repeat

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,254 Posts
Most probable spot is the seals in the filter head. With repeatedly pushing the primer button until firm, it should start and keep running. There may be air past the filter, causing it to die after a few seconds of running (you said 30 sec), but repeat the procedure and keep trying to start.
Is there plenty of fuel in the tank?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,254 Posts
How long have you had it? Is it the original filter head?

Many times, when the old seals let go, the primer button will not even get firm, stays soft no matter how many pumps. Sometimes, maybe 5-10 strokes until firm.

If yours is at least getting firm, you should be able to get it to fire off and stay running.
Perhaps if you have another hand, after you get a firm point, have someone continue to pump the primer will trying to start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had it about a year, the guy i bought it off of had all his maintenance records and there wasn't anything about a new one so I'll assume it's the original.

I didn't count but when I did prime it it took quite a few pumps to get firm, and then the truck started and ran for a bit but I didn't try to keep pumping it to keep it running. I'll do that when I get home from work this afternoon.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,254 Posts
Since it fired off after you pumped up the primer, and then died, I would continue to pump the primer until firm and try to start. The stall was a gap of air in the lines. Keep priming and trying to start, it should fire off and run as the trapped air (past the fuel filter) is removed.

Just be leery of long crank times (starter damage) and make sure both batteries are charged up and ready for the task. Low voltage can trigger a variety of problems....let's not add to the single issue of lack of fuel for startup.

You'll probably end up replacing the filter head with a new assembly, along with the two old worn hoses that attach to it.

This is all a common issue with fuel system aging and running ULSD, where all of the seals were originally designed to run on LSD. Common, in that once you replace the filter head, you'll be running trouble free for many years.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,254 Posts
Once you get it started and all of the air purged, you may find if you don't let it sit long, it may not be a problem and start up like before. Usually when they fail, most people can pump it 4-5 times and carry on for a while, if it has time to bleed off.

Yours was 4 months. But yes, once you verify that's where your leak source is, replace the assembly. (some try a rebuild kit instead, sometimes it works, other times not).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts