Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive already bought a pre-tuned ecm with a dsp5 switch and ive been running this about 6 months. Ive been happy with the setup but im looking for a more intense "race" tune and id like to play around with all 5 tunes altogether and add lope if possible. Honestly seems like the old edge setup i had was more powerful and i can't tell much difference between the 5 levels i have. Finally i'll get to the question. Is it a good idea to buy the v2 and try and learn the efi world or is it easy to screw up something good? Can i make adjustments to the tunes i have now? I'd love to cruise around with the laptop and do things my way but i have no experience. it seems like theres alot of good information on the site about tuning but it doesn't make much sense to me without the v2. Any insight would be awesome. thanks.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
do you change your tunes on your monitor?

just from reading on here i wouldnt screw with it... who made your tunes? my efi tunes blow my edge out of the water in every way....

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i use the knob for changing the tunes because i bought the edge monitor after the efi live. I got the ecm from duramaxtuner. I got the pre-tuned 5 level ecm. I guess its more of a basic setup since i didn't pay additional for more of a custom setup.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
hm.... ive been told nicks tunes are awesome also... but even with the basic tunes i would think they would be way better than edge

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya ive heard the same thing about his tunes which is why i went through him. Not really sure, but my mileage dropped way off too when compared to the edge and i drive the thing pretty easy most the time.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Stock transmissionyour tunes wont be much higher than an edge..120rwhp is 120rwhp regardless of where it comes from. I bet the edi tunes run cooler though.
You will never get the potential out of ego live without having more mods. That being said, with a built trans to hold te power it will blow the socks off of any other tuner! The v2 is always good to have no matter what, whether you tune it yourself or get them emailed, you don't have to wait for shipping.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
yeah man i would definitely think and im sure others would agree that something is not hooked up correct or something is wrong... wait for someone else to chime in with that engine they will know whats up

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya i understand the stock trans issue that i have. haha. Hopefully i just read this correctly but if you have the v2 you can have the tunes uploaded through e-mail then flashed into the truck?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yup

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright thanks guys. sounds like i better check those dsp5 wires going into the ecm. I was careful but sounds like a good idea. Sounds like i should just buy the v2 anyways.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I use to have edge and it doesn't touch nicks tunes. The edge did have more power down below I feel like compared to a couple tunes. But then again it made drivability kinda blow IMO. however nicks 160 tune put down 451 even after I limped the trans on the first dyno pull... Pretty impressive if you ask me...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app...

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
your right about driveability. Power is much smoother. i know im held back by the stock trans. and im not bashing duramaxtuner at all because i know he makes good, clean tunes. My question was more towards whether or not buying a v2 would be useful at all or if i could even make changes if i wanted to easily.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
your right about driveability. Power is much smoother. i know im held back by the stock trans. and im not bashing duramaxtuner at all because i know he makes good, clean tunes. My question was more towards whether or not buying a v2 would be useful at all or if i could even make changes if i wanted to easily.
Oops... Well ya I know aloe of people like the v2. If you want to personalize you tunes it would definelty be good. I don't know how to do it personally.. I would send a message to sickdiesel and ask him. He knows a ton about everything EFI related and I'm sure would be happy to help and answer questions.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app...

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would say something not right too! I had the edge before I got EFI Live an my 100 hp tune would smoke my edge hot 150 tune! An my 100 hp tune smoke free!

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Get a V2.............................

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so... after last night and thinking about the responses i decided to pull the ecm and check my dsp5 wiring. Well i found the problem to be my install. One of the wires was not all the way plugged into the harness. I feel stupid that i waited this long but im glad I found a problem and wanted to clear it up. hooked things up correctly and now ive got a totally different truck. Power increase was instantly noticeable and the race tune is awesome.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
good deal..................

1 - 20 of 23 Posts