Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a argument of one of the facebook L5P pages today on whether or not L5P's had wait lights for the glow plugs, I see mine turn on all the time for a second or two.

Multiple owners said the new trucks don't have them, I posted a pic of mine and they said it must be an LML.

I had them post pics of their gauges, after they posted pics I pointed out that their pic had the wait light.

The start of the topic was owners having to replace their glow plugs often, the ones having issues never heard of the wait light.

Anyone else wait for the light to go out?

First pic is 2018 chevy, second is a GMC.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
And this is another reason why those L5P groups on Facebook are an absolute joke haha

·
Registered
633 Posts
True, L5P has a wait to start light.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
It even has it's own blurb/section in the manual and gets mention in the starting instructions.

Who'da thought? >:)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
The easiest way I've found to see it is to turn the key one click, to 'acc' position and wait for the radio/dash to start up, then turn one more click to 'on' position. Light comes on when switched to 'on', but it won't be on for long.

Turning directly to 'on' and the glow plugs are finished before the dash comes to life.

This is a Denali screen, but I'd guess the dash start up timing is similar on them all.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you watch all of the lights for the vehicle configuration usually flash for a brief moment when you first turn the key to the on position. Just like all of the gauges do a full sweep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you watch all of the lights for the vehicle configuration usually flash for a brief moment when you first turn the key to the on position. Just like all of the gauges do a full sweep.
My wait light doesn't come on when you first turn the ignition to on. I've never seen it. 2017 gmc Denali

·
Registered
151 Posts
Same here. Never seen it come on. It's been fairly cold too since I've owned it (10° or so)

Also how does the wait light work with remote start???
There is a delay with the remote start. After you press the button you can here solenoids/relays under the hood for a few seconds before the starter kicks - my guess is the glow plugs are warming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Mine (and all L5P’s) have the “spring laying on its side” light just to the right of the 1,000 rpm mark on the tachometer.

I cover a phosphate mine in the western Wyoming mountains where my truck sometimes sees -20 below startups in the morning during the winter.

If I remember right, the light stayed on for approximately 5 seconds before starting at this temperature while the glow plugs warmed up.

I commonly use the remote start on these cold mornings which has a built-in delay while the glow plugs warm up.

Strange they don’t use the same delay strategy with the keyed ignition.

If GM was smart they would incorporate a delayed start like my Bobcat skid steer. If the outside temperature is too cold the Bobcat will not start until the glow plugs warm up.

As for my 2019 Duramax ... I have been lucky ... no glow plug issues ... yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2017 Denali Dually

I was told that the glow plugs these days are so fast, that the “glow plug” light is non-existent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
2017 Denali Dually

I was told that the glow plugs these days are so fast, that the “glow plug” light is non-existent

It has one.

Yes glowplugs are even faster the the LML-- which was faster than the LMM...

If you pause at the ACC key position to let the dash/gauge startup/self checks finish, before moving to the ON position, there is a better chance of seeing it.
Really cold weather also helps.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2017 Denali Dually

A lot of owners think that, that's why I started the thread. Every winter I see a few posts about owners having to replace their glow plugs and they don't know why, I asked if they're waiting for the glow light to go out and they say "what glow light".

I see mine every time I start it for the first time of the day, 80 deg or 20 it still pops up for a couple seconds. Longer when its cold but still faster than my last LMM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts