Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A REALLY good customer of my shops is a head manager of a few Aamco Transmissions. He himself drives an LMM. He tells me how his top tech worked for Allison before coming to him or previous work all that stuff. I would say he wouldn't ever leave me hanging either if something went wrong. We have known him a long time family wise and never put two and two together! He buys bikes like crazy from me. And we take care of him thats for damn sure. So he is in need of one of his many 5 bikes a year haha. I figure if I don't have the money when he getst he bike, I will finance what ever he wants to do my tranny work for, and he pays cash for the rest which he does anyway. I think it would work awsome. As he said easiest would be to just get all the parts I know I want and they do the work. I don't even want to get excited to start looking into a tranny but how do you trust
Aamco? Only thing helping me is long term business relation with the guy and pretty sure they know how to work on the Allison if I give them parts.

And next Q - what is the major difference between levels and stages of trannys. best brand. Even if I work the hell out of the tranny I wouldn't be doing much more than that. I would love to just have it be nice firm solid shifts and know I can run the piss out of her and the tranny will never slip or bother me. In time perhaps I'de go bigger turbo or twins but that would be a long shot. Transgo JR was nice upgrade but I want way more solid feel. Mainly long term strong. Do a lift pump and run a nice race tune and know shes good. I do NOT want to get into more motor work for a long time.
Thanks for reading all that, help me out

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I'm in the same situation with a owner of aamco two blocks away and I just need a trans go jr right now. I hook him up he hooks me up.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Jim, I wouldn't do it. Building a high performance Allison is different than just rebulding one. Find someone that has done a few. If you want someone good near you that knows exactly what to do, PM duratothemax. Ben knows everything Duramax & he is somewhere in CT.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I"m pretty sure I'm going to have big dipper do mine when it comes time, I just need to get a transgo in and I really dont want to f that up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
why not save yourself a huge amount of pain and time and send it to ppe or something...

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had the local aamco shop build my suncoast stage 4 havent had any trouble with it and i love it...:gearjamin but wish i could have gotten more of a warranty incase something does happen...

·
Registered
90 Posts
NO! Aamco has has been fighting with my trany for 2 months now... it went in for a small leak that i was told was the seal between the transfer case and the tranny that went bad...ok fixed.. still leaked... next was the tourge converter was bad... ok still leakes.. they say when they have it it dosent leak.. but 2 days in my driveway it had about a 3" dia. puddle.. Im so F*#&$ng pissed off with them... its up there now.. and they say it hasent leaked yet. Kinda funny it leaks in my diveway but not there.. Ohh fergot to mention ive put 25 miles on it since they did the work 3 months ago.. they tried to tell me i drive the truck too hard... WTF ever i cant even drive it because it pours out tranny fluid when i do....AHHH sorry to vent thats my experiance with them...

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
there's 2 top guys I would only trust. George AKA Dig Dipper or Mike L. Allisons are thier specialty. Remember, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
jim go down to big dipper and have it done. i wouldnt trust aamcoo with my oil change lol

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Just think.. All the "pros" had to start somewhere.

:
Just think, you can be one of their first test fails. These guys are "pros" because thats what they do. And leave the Toyotas and minivans for the novices

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Just think, you can be one of their first test fails. These guys are "pros" because thats what they do. And leave the Toyotas and minivans for the novices
Exactly. I would never let some random shop experiment with the 3k I spent on a rebuild kit.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Maroney, if your up for a road trip let Tinman 22 or me know. We'll go down to MD with ya. :cool:

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
PM sent Jim.

Ben

·
Registered
226 Posts
Aamco is one of those "life time warranty" bunches like Midas, and Just Brakes etc. They can replace the tranny six times under warranty before they even hit the break even point on their cost in the tranny. During that time they will also claim that it is "owner abuse", "different problem", "not due to the work they did", and force you to fight them at every turn. Just because you deal straight with the guy doesn't mean he'll deal straight with you. Remember, he works for Aamco.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
All Automatics Must Come Out. :D

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha... Well i figure I wouldn't be doing a crazy tranny build. Nor would I go beating on it any harder. Just having it solid and know its good for a long time is all I ask. I expect my stock tranny to do just fine iwth the transgo jr in there. I am pretty good to it and still never been to the track dyno or sled pulled. So I figure they can easily put int he parts I bring them which you guys will help buy for me haha. Then run it. Easy way to get cheap labor aas well as not pay up front and just do some payments.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Just make sure it comes with a good warranty, and double check that they are fully knowledgable about the allison. There are some differences compared to building most other automatics, and specific procedures that MUST be followed exactly.

Ben

1 - 20 of 48 Posts