Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this problem started almost 4 years ago (and 25,000 miles ago). It started with me noticing poor mileage (2-4 mpg drop), some smoke, higher egts, and low boost. It started about the time I replaced the turbo with a new Garrett stage 1, also about the time I got new tires. The smoke was only immediately after getting into the throttle, and cleared up within 2 seconds, never had smoke before no matter how hard I stepped on it. The higher EGTs were consistent and remain higher than normal (100-200 degrees). The poor mileage is still consistently 2-4 mpg lower than it use to be. The low boost has been fixed by logging, mapping, and re-tuning for the new turbo. I've checked everything and found nothing malfunctioning.

Honestly I'm down to two possibilities. Either this new turbo is much less efficient than the factory turbo, or my new tires have a much higher rolling resistance. Or the more unlikely possibility that there is something wrong with one or more injectors. Now the biggest problem is that I only use the truck when I need a truck. To fill the bed or tow, and when I tow, the trailers have gotten heavier too, now I am towing 10-16,000lbs on a regular basis. I have had very few miles (or complete trips) not hooked up to a trailer. However, I am confident that my mileage is consistently low. I use to get 12mpg all day pulling my camper, which is the easiest time to compare as it is the most consistent weight and size and at times is towed far enough to use most of a tank of fuel. This summer we only went once, but got less than 10mpg pulling it. Without a trailer I use to get 18-19.95mpg depending on how fast I drove. Now it seems to be 15-16mpg. The only time I consistently drive without a trailer is when I go hunting in SD. Then I have my winter tires on, which I know drop my mileage, and the drive out there is at higher speeds, which also drops the mileage. I got 16mpg last year on the drive out and back. Which isn't significantly lower than I would expect. I usually put on 3-500 miles while out there, but much of that is across fields, dirt roads, short trips, idling, etc and always yields very poor mileage.

I'm just checking to see if anyone else has had some sort of similar experience of lower mileage and higher EGTs with the Garrett stage 1, or some other odd failure. And actually figured out what it was, And got it fixed.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I had the same issue but with stock turbo. Mine was bad injectors. Mine popped the p0087 code was the start of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts