Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is going to open up some possibly heated discussions. I currently own a 7.3 PSD 1995. Looking at new trucks to pull a 41ft 5th wheel with dry weight of 14K. The 3.73 seems to high for this at first pass. then there is the 5.9 Cummins DRW Quad Cab with the 3.73 which makes good torque (610) but is no where rated for weight like the GM or Ford. Can you fellows chime in with all your takes pros and cons? why the low tow rating on dodge with the torque rating over the 6.0 PSD?

Thanks,

Texf6:drink

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
THe Gms work really well with the 3.73, I would put 3.43's in my truck befor i ever thought of going 4.10's the dmax has just as much lowend power as the allmighty 5.9 year for year at the same 1600 rpm rating!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Make no mistake about it, the cummins with the G56 6 speed manual has got the power to pull whatever you need to.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Make no mistake about it, the cummins with the G56 6 speed manual has got the power to pull whatever you need to.
Ive heard that before... Any dmax or ps guys out there ever not been able to pull whatevery they wanted to?

·
Registered
63 Posts
IMO it all comes down to getting your butt in all of them and seeing for yourself which one suits you the best. ALL the powerplants in these trucks are gonna be just fine for any regular use of the vehicle. Its not until you attempt to use the vehicle in competitive motorsports that one may shine brighter than the other.

So for your everyday truck, its just a matter of which one appeals to you the most as opposed to one just absolutely dominating over the others making it a clear choice (exception may be the 6.0 Ford PSD - they have a really bad wrap even by loyal Ford owners).

All that said, you see what I drive. ;) I got this after owning a 96 12V Dodge w/ 300K+ miles on it and still ticking just fine. In fact, its supposed to be running in the 2.8 Inducer limited classes of truck pulling next year w/ stock internals except a new cam. I have COMPLETE respect for Dodges and like them just fine. Just am more of a GM fan and they finely have just as capable a motor as the Cummins IMO so I switched to what my little heart desires.

C-ya

p.s. Sorry for the book. I get long winded from time to time. :rolleyes:

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
I have worked in a auto garage for a long time. I have see all types and makes of vehicals come in for repair.

This is how Id rate all of them. 1-10 10 being the best

...........................*Motor.......*Body......*Auto Tranny.....*Manual Tranny

Chevy Duramax.........8...............10..............10.................10

Dodge Cummins.........10..............5................5..................8

Ford Power stroke......7................7................7.................8

Again just my opinion. Now im not saying im not saying I wouldnever buy one of the makes. I own a towing company and chances are the next truck I buy will be a Ford. :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with Towmaster's ratings. The Cummins is hard to beat, just too bad it's got the Dodge wrapped around it.
I drive the Chev/Duramax because I spent 33 years working for the same corporation driving extremly rough, steep mountianous terrain daily. After Chev put torsion bar suspension in the front end there is no other vehicle that rides as good as the Chev. The Duramax is a bonus. The only negative I have with the Chev vs. the competion is that it has the lowest ground clearance and gets hung up easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have worked in a auto garage for a long time. I have see all types and makes of vehicals come in for repair.

This is how Id rate all of them. 1-10 10 being the best

...........................*Motor.......*Body......*Auto Tranny.....*Manual Tranny

Chevy Duramax.........8...............10..............10.................10

Dodge Cummins.........10..............5................5..................8

Ford Power stroke......7................7................7.................8

Again just my opinion. Now im not saying im not saying I wouldnever buy one of the makes. I own a towing company and chances are the next truck I buy will be a Ford. :cool:
I sort of agree. Except, the Cummins should be a 100 (I know 10 is the highest score, but it's that good, and not many can argue that.), body 10 (unless you're refering to the 2nd gen trucks?), auto trans 10 (48RE is a great trans. They can be built to handle well over 1,000# of torque.), and the manual trans is a 10 as well...just my opinion.

Why would you not use the Chevy to tow? Why the Ford? Why not a Dodge Cummins? Just curious?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife likes the smell of the leather in the Duramax. :D

Does that help you?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Why would you not use the Chevy to tow? Why the Ford? Why not a Dodge Cummins? Just curious?
I still would kill to use a chevy!! But, the only "light" duty available with a heavy suspention is the Ford. I currently have a 94 3500 Hd wrecker and a 94 Top Kick rollback. My wrecker has a I beam front suspention and heavy duty 19.5 wheels. All the 2000+ 3500 have IFS and 16 inch wheels unless you go to a Kodiak. Unfortunatly I cant afford a Kodiak right now they still sell to high. You can get a newer Ford pretty cheap. For some unknown reason nobody puts any wrecker bodies on Dodge. :rolleyes:

Not mutch of a selection if you ask me. :rant

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yup. It seems like you can get a Ford in almost any configuration you can imagine. At least Dodge finally started offering a SRW 1ton and a crew-cab…even though Chevy x-cab is about the same size.

I would worry about a 6.0 Powerstroke. They seem to be too much trouble for such a pricey vehicle.

Chevy or Dodge would be fine for me. I chose Dodge because I like the sound of an inline six. I don‚Äôt tow anything a ¬? ton couldn‚Äôt handle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went by the GMC dealer again yesterday and all but ruled out the GM product now. Its not the motor or the tranny. I love that part of it. Its the lack of "feel" that I get with the truck. My wife has an 04 Tahoe and nothing has changed.. I know that will be changing for the 07-08 like everyone else but the stealer told me not to expect a 1 ton 3500 dually til probably April or May realisticlly. The back seat area is suppose to be as large or larger than anything else out there. I'm 6'1 and I found it to be as small as the Dodge quad. That by the way is why my wife advises me against the Dodge. The Mega is nice but I desire (need) an 8 ft bed as I don't want to repurchase a slider 5th wheel hitch.

Then there's the 2 1/2 inch wide rear leaf springs on the GM truck's as compared to the 3" to 3 1/2" inch wide leaf springs of the Ford and Dodge. Ford's frame is monsterous compared to the GM. Dodge is not as tall of a frame in dimension but appears to be fully boxed. Everyone is saying that in the past models of Dodge (2000) or so that the tranny was the weak link. Suppose to be better now. Then on the Ford, the same can be said about the 6.0 psd in models 03 through 04, but again, now seems to be ironed out in the 05s through current 07s. Back to the personal preference thing I guess. The auto tranny on the Dodge is currently the 4sp 48re, the Ford is 5 sp Torqueshift and then of course the Allsion is a six speed. I am only looking at auto trannys by the way so that may change some of the opinions made earlier. Anyone want to comment on a 4 speed vs the other two? Again keeping in mind the intention is towing 14K to 16K. Seems to me that logic would say the 5 or 6 speed should provide better hypothetical highway mpg economy than a 4 speed for everyday use. By the way, on pricing I can get the 4x2 4dr dually GMC SLE or Ford XLT 4 dr. dually for the same money as a Lonestar edition SLT 4x4 Dodge Quad dually so I can't even differentiate on the price ques. Thanks for interesting opinons and reads.

TexF6 :drink

·
Registered
63 Posts
I thought the Dodges were coming out with a 5-spd auto next year along with the much larger 6.7L Cummins?

If I were to go Dodge, I'd wait for that.

C-ya

·
Registered
29 Posts
I thought the Dodges were coming out with a 5-spd auto next year along with the much larger 6.7L Cummins?

If I were to go Dodge, I'd wait for that.

C-ya
6-speed auto. I think with auto the motor is rated at 350hp and 650tq...Getrag standard is 310hp (something like that) and less torque as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dodge a 100?

I sort of agree. Except, the Cummins should be a 100 (I know 10 is the highest score, but it's that good, and not many can argue that.), body 10 (unless you're refering to the 2nd gen trucks?), auto trans 10 (48RE is a great trans. They can be built to handle well over 1,000# of torque.), and the manual trans is a 10 as well...just my opinion.

a 100? Not in my experience!

If you like a noisy truck, a truck where you have to constantly monitor "fuel presure" so the injection pump does not (might not) fail, and fighting Dodge should you ever need waranty, then a Dodge is for you!

Dodge has had an ongoing issue with their "lift pump" setup since 2001 (or so), it seems like they might should have resolved this issue by now.

I have opperated diesel trucks for many many years, big and small, a good truck (or truck engine) should be designed in such a way that the undetectible failure of a $100.00 part does not cost you a $2,000.00 repair.

Sorry, I do have a problem with Dodge,,,,,

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd go chevy, it rides and drives better, it is a 1000 times better on the interior and they stand behind their product. I have had a dodge good motor the worst truck possible i had an 01 auto, 03 6sp., and a 00 ATS auto. You have to put a bunch of money in the trucks to make them last. Ford is just plain jane interior with rough ass ride and terrible diesel. I look at it this way what all has a cummins or an issuzu motor a lot like ups and fed ex trucks what has a powerstroke in it. Ford trucks.............. YOU decide.

·
Registered
29 Posts
a 100? Not in my experience!

If you like a noisy truck, a truck where you have to constantly monitor "fuel presure" so the injection pump does not (might not) fail, and fighting Dodge should you ever need waranty, then a Dodge is for you!

Dodge has had an ongoing issue with their "lift pump" setup since 2001 (or so), it seems like they might should have resolved this issue by now.

I have opperated diesel trucks for many many years, big and small, a good truck (or truck engine) should be designed in such a way that the undetectible failure of a $100.00 part does not cost you a $2,000.00 repair.

Sorry, I do have a problem with Dodge,,,,,
I like the "real Diesel" sound of the inline Cummins.

As far as the lift pump goes, I have heard of thoses issues. But isn't the lift pump in the fuel tank?

Also, I think Cummins is a true medium duty engine.

But I have nothing against Chevy. I'd take one. Now a Ford...that's diff story, unless it was a 7.3

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like the "real Diesel" sound of the inline Cummins.

As far as the lift pump goes, I have heard of thoses issues. But isn't the lift pump in the fuel tank?

Also, I think Cummins is a true medium duty engine.

But I have nothing against Chevy. I'd take one. Now a Ford...that's diff story, unless it was a 7.3
The stock lift pump is usually in the tank, but it's undetectable failure (unless an aftermarket pressure gauge is installed) will ruin the injection pump on the engine in short order.

As far as the actual medium duty application of the 5.9, some versions are classified as "medium duty", yet the real world application of the engine might be more realisticly classified as "light medium". The DM is used much the same. (GM's 454, and Ford's 460 were also used in medium duty trucks, and the label on a candy bar might claim three servings from a single bar, but just because the label says somthing dosent make it so)

As a person who has spent much of his life driving big trucks with "real diesel sound", I am at the point where I can do without the noise. I do not mind the noise that goes out the exhaust because I really can not hear this from the cab, but IMO engine noise sucks. When I buy a heavy truck, the cab noise is an important factor, I will pay more for less noise. To compound this, a nice Kenworth or Peterbilt will be a lot quieter in the cab than a Dodge Cummins.

Wow!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The stock lift pump is usually in the tank, but it's undetectable failure (unless an aftermarket pressure gauge is installed) will ruin the injection pump on the engine in short order.

As far as the actual medium duty application of the 5.9, some versions are classified as "medium duty", yet the real world application of the engine might be more realisticly classified as "light medium". The DM is used much the same. (GM's 454, and Ford's 460 were also used in medium duty trucks, and the label on a candy bar might claim three servings from a single bar, but just because the label says somthing dosent make it so)

As a person who has spent much of his life driving big trucks with "real diesel sound", I am at the point where I can do without the noise. I do not mind the noise that goes out the exhaust because I really can not hear this from the cab, but IMO engine noise sucks. When I buy a heavy truck, the cab noise is an important factor, I will pay more for less noise. To compound this, a nice Kenworth or Peterbilt will be a lot quieter in the cab than a Dodge Cummins.

Wow!!!
Are you talking about a rail pressure gauge? That's the next gauge I plan on buying. I have a pyro now and a boost on the way.

As far as engine noise goes, mine is alot more quiet than the non CR motors. I've never heard a 6.7 Cummins. But I've read that they're a lot quieter than the previous 5.9.

The last DM I was in was over a year ago. It was while I was in Louisiana for Katrina. I don't know what year it was, but it was a newer model. It was very quiet.

So I agree that DM is quieter than Cummins.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The new 6.7 liter Cummins is just as quiet as the other two now. My dad has it in his new 07' and it is very impressive with unbelievable low end torque. His truck is one uncomfortable sob though! Its a great farm truck, but my job requires many highway miles with heavy loads so I'm gonna be in the market for a d-max or a stroker within a year. Man... I like all three diesel trucks out there right now, but when it comes to a Dodge with cloth interior its like sitting on metal bleachers for hours. Just my .02, but once again its all a preference thing I guess. I feel the best when I sit in the 08' Super Dutys but I would hate to be responsible for one when the warranty goes out. It looks impossible to work on or even change filters and belts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts