Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 lly stock motor and trans afe2 intake egr blocked 3.5 in straight pipe hypertech max energy
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if in wrong spot. New to forum and diesels. I have an 05 lly ext cab 8ft bed 199k miles. Possibly slipping at moderate acceleration from stop. Gets better as truck warms up but doesn't go away. New fluids and filters less than 2k miles ago. Bed was loaded climbing a dirt road out of camping area when it started. Thought tires were spinning, but they weren't. No codes come up, only if I ride the shudder, then I limp and get p0732 with the p0700. Any ideas? Hoping trans isn't cooked.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Note the diagnostic aids in the attached document- based on my 2008 LMM

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 lly stock motor and trans afe2 intake egr blocked 3.5 in straight pipe hypertech max energy
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for reply, Yeah.....I know what the codes mean been doing research on it. But I only get the code if I "ride" the slip. And it only apparently happening in city driving, at lunch I de-programned, and it helped but didn't solve it. If I try T/H its a guaranteed limp. Guessing I cooked a clutch pack or something, just a hope and a dream it was some sort of electrical problem. Ya know something this newbie never thought of....

·
Administrator
16,976 Posts
Where are you located? Probably time for a built trans. Copperhead Diesel in Chandler, AZ and Inglewood Trans in Fullerton, CA are two west coast Allison transmission shops. I wouldn't rebuild stock or take to just any trans shop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Upstate NY, yeah I was afraid of that. I got a local shop recommended by a buddy. This shop apparently did alot of trans work for his buddy, powerstroke he used as a drag truck. Apparently they were able to figure out why he kept cracking bellhousings and no one else was able to figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
The Allison transmission is very unique and should only be worked on by someone who’s primary business is building & servicing Allison’s.
There are numerous horror stories of thousands of wasted dollars because the local Dodge/Ford trans guys couldn’t competently build an Allison 5/6spd transmission.

·
Registered
457 Posts
There sure are a lot of parts on an allison. I am also upstate and dont know of anyone i could recommend for sure with allison tranny's

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There sure are a lot of parts on an allison. I am also upstate and dont know of anyone i could recommend for sure with allison tranny's
Thats my issue.....not any actual allison service shops close. I do most of my own work but a tyranny rebuild is above my expertise. When I get into something above my skill or anything I have a local mechanic that has worked on my vehicles since I was 16. But she doesn't do her own tranny work she sends it out. And I don't trust the other shops. The shop recommended to me apparently thats all this guy does is rebuild and upgrade transmissions and power trains. Don't know what my other options are. Unless I just replace with another tranny. Again something I probably can't handle at home. No lift, just Jacks and hand tools. Basically I am also looking to actually figure out what is wrong first. I know p0700 and p0732 means c2 is slipping, but if and when that happens it locks out, or limps. This latest symptom is a lurch almost wheel hop feeling and no codes associated. I tried researching and without codes no help. Could be trans, could be tc, could be speed sensors....Yada Yada yada.....NO ITS NOT A FUEL FILTER.

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
I've had my hands inside 3 Allisons helping friends rebuild/beef-up their transmissions. It's pretty straight forward but I recommend buying the rebuild book and read it until you understand it. When it came time to build my 6spd, I ordered a Mike L trans and had it shipped to my mechanic in Boise.

Pay once, cry once!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thats true @BoiseRob ....if you are going to keep the truck, you could buy one of Mike L's but then you have freight on top of it from CA (i think thats where he is out of) to NY. But...you know you are getting quality and exactly what you pay for. Nothing worse than putting in a transmission (used or rebuilt) and something is wrong, and out it comes again. One of my biggest pet peeves! Same problem with car parts from the box stores. I cant tell you how often i have to do things twice when i use them. OK sorry. Rant over.

If you can log your slip with a scanner, maybe in T/H mode so it locks earlier., you can see the slip when it happens (if it is). How into the power are you when it happens? If pretty good into power, i have to believe your clutches are probably the culprit. If happens even under moderate/low power, it could be something else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats true @BoiseRob ....if you are going to keep the truck, you could buy one of Mike L's but then you have freight on top of it from CA (i think thats where he is out of) to NY. But...you know you are getting quality and exactly what you pay for. Nothing worse than putting in a transmission (used or rebuilt) and something is wrong, and out it comes again. One of my biggest pet peeves! Same problem with car parts from the box stores. I cant tell you how often i have to do things twice when i use them. OK sorry. Rant over.

If you can log your slip with a scanner, maybe in T/H mode so it locks earlier., you can see the slip when it happens (if it is). How into the power are you when it happens? If pretty good into power, i have to believe your clutches are probably the culprit. If happens even under moderate/low power, it could be something else.
Moderate or low power. I have to really baby it up to 30mph then I can breathe on it harder. Highway speeds good, I have avoided any downshifting scenarios since new symptom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do plan on keeping the truck, bought it with the expectation of repairing/rebuilding over time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have a scan tool that will monitor slip. I have a HP max energy that will scan and report DTCs thats about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just spoke with the trans shop. He does work on Allison's......they want a day to diagnose and a worst case scenario he wants to reman with hd billet converter. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
Just spoke with the trans shop. He does work on Allison's......they want a day to diagnose and a worst case scenario he wants to reman with hd billet converter. Thoughts?
I would be leery since he used the word "reman" instead of "build"... He may just be buying a stock reman unit and adding the billet converter. Also, what/who's converter does he want to install?

Contact Evan at Inglewood Transmission (714-870-7300). He probably knows someone near you that he trusts that will do the job right...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure......meeting with him next wed. What should I be leary about when we are talking. And if it comes down to it whats the negative to a reman unit with a billet converter. Not producing BIG power, don't plan on going any bigger with the power than what I got, its a DD with a little snot. I plow, tow 6k max and run off road to camp and hunt.

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
If they build in-house, they will know about using a Transgo Jr. shift kit, extra steels & clutches kit and also use MikeL custom valve body and pump springs. Might as well build it tougher than stock so it lasts longer.

First question I would ask is do they build in-house...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll ask for more specifics when I talk to them, but it looks like his suppliers are Jasper, Transtar, ete reman, protorque and Rockland standard gears

·
Administrator
16,976 Posts
None of those are good, you can send your trans off to a few of big name shops like Mike L trans and they will send you back the transmission. You will need some tools to properly do a re-learn or you can cause subsequent issues and failures. I would give Evan or @Mike L. a call at Inglewood transmission, maybe you or your mechanic can remove the transmission and ship it to them.

IIRC you can do the re-learn with the Allison software or a Tech 2, but they can advise about that as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts