Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Only took 7,000 miles for the Tuff Country upper a-arm ball joints to fail. Could hear them clicking coming out of a phosphate mine on Tuesday. When I put the truck on jack stands and move the top & bottom of tire back & forth, you could see the ball joint cap with grease zirk move up and down as well.

Thankfully this is the only aftermarket purchase where I paid for installation vs doing it myself. Also glad I chose a local tire shop known for taking care of their customers. They immediately informed me the ball joints will be covered under warranty, with or without Tuff Country’s willingness to provide the parts & labor. Always great customer service from this tire shop.

Not very keen about Tuff Country giving me more of the same ball joints and only getting another 7k out of them. I may end up trying to find a set of Moog ball joints that fit this a-arm design ... or exchange for the uniball option with same a-arm design (not my preferred choice).

Just wanted to share this experience regarding Tuff Country’s ongoing ball joint issues.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - Tuff Country stepped up and supplied the replacement ball joints under warranty and the tire shop supplied the labor for free. I am still skeptical this issue is solved long-term. The chance of both Tuff Country upper ball joints failing in only 7,000 miles or less relays an underlying problem in my opinion. It is possible I just got a bad batch of ball joints, or it could be the press-in socket for the ball joints in the upper control arms may be out of tolerance, oblong shaped, etc. allowing the ball joint to move within the socket. Only time will tell if replacing the ball joints solves the problem long-term. Will update this thread when I get more miles on the fix. Got a new problem, stock idler arm has failed and I am fighting with the dealer because they are blaming the Cognito PISK for the failure. Since this is a different issue, I will start a new thread on this failure.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tuff Country ball joint on the driver’s side upper control arm failed again last week. I noticed a slight rattle in the steering wheel going over bumps in the road. That is two failures in only 12,000 miles. Tire shop that installed the Tuff Country leveling kit and the local Chevy dealer both stated they could not feel the rattle when they took it for a test drive. So, I purchased a Steelman Chassis Ear system which has very sensitive microphones that verifies rattle locations wirelessly via audio in the cab. I hooked up all 4 sensors to both upper and lower ball joints on the driver and passenger sides ... clamped the sensors to the ball joint castle nut. Was able to identify which ball joint was bad before I completed a trip around the block. Highly recommend this diagnostic tool. Tire shop technician was shocked it was one of the replacement ball joints they just put in. Amazingly they want to try one more Tuff Country ball joint replacement before they throw in the towel and replace the leveling kit with a Cognito system. I personally think it is a waste of time because the a-arm recessed hole for the ball joint was probably bad from the factory ... and if not ... has likely oblonged at this point where the ball joint will rock and thus fail once again ... but gonna let the try one more time.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Change to Cognito Upper Control Arms

Gave up on Tuff Country because of ball joint failures.

Changed upper control arm to Cognito ... which look to be a superior design.

One thing is for sure ... ball joint changes are much easier being a few bolts instead of a press.

Only time will tell if this fixes the upper ball join issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
pyancey, the part number K90255 they gave you, is that for a 2015+ GMC/Chevy 2500 TC upper controll ball joint replcement? I looked it up and it says its for a 4-runner. Thank you for posting this info

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you find another balljoint? mine did the same thing. Tuff Country said use moog K90255.
Sorry for the way late response. Yes, I replaced with a MOOG. To be honest I ditched the leveling kit and went with a 4 inch suspension lift kit. So I am back to my stock arms and ball joints. Therefore I never had enough time to see if the MOOG survived.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts