Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am looking to get a programmer. My question is which one. My biggest benefit I would like to see is mileage, next would be the ability to remove dpf and maybe a few other pollution pieces, third would be towing, and fourth would be pure power. With that being said I need the truck to be reliable. I am new to diesels but I have done some reading, mostly on Edge, Efi, and the Mini & Black Maxx. I like the idea of the custom tunes with the EFI, however I don't have the knowledge to build my own tunes and I am concerned with no guages and does it have any protection? I like the Black maxx with the idea of having guages and some automatic protection, my question with it is can I get a custom tune for mileage? I like the price of the Edge with it having most of the options that the maxx has except for the custom tunes. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I am like you, looking to get the most bang for the buck out of a tuner. Most guys on here will tell you just go with EFI Live.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Go EFI. I would reccomend a Pretuned ECM and a dsp5 with all the tunes you want. Alot of guys on here have started with other tuners like me (edge and superchips) and they always end up regretting it. Everyone seems to end up with EFI. Don't waste your money other places

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a feeling I will get a lot of votes for EFI. That being said is their any automatic protection? Can you hook up an EGT? Would it be a good idea to run stand alone guages? If so which setup is recomended?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Efi is the ONLY way to go. I just did all the mods in my sig. Went from 18to21 on hwy and 14to18 in town. It was well worth it. I am sure it will help mileage more in the winter. Meyer Performance just came out with a new efi tuner using duramaxtuners tunes. That would be your best bet. I love Nicks tunes on my truck. No black smoke at all.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have a feeling I will get a lot of votes for EFI. That being said is their any automatic protection? Can you hook up an EGT? Would it be a good idea to run stand alone guages? If so which setup is recomended?
Edge CTS is the best way to go. Just buy the expandable probe for your egts.

Cts will cover everything you need and yet read and clear codes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Go with efi, and just buy you some gauges...went up 3 to 4 mpg, smoother shifting, truck runs awesome....you wont regret it

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
geese man. I looked at the spade. It looks easy, and basically is EFI Live. The only thing is you cant make any changes to the tunes, yourself. But it doesn't sound like you would. I used to have Edge tuner. It messed up my truck with codes. I just upgraded to Efi live w/IdahoRob's tunes, and love it. But If I didn't go to him I would have gone to Nick. I'm even considering purchasing his library of tunes!

Best of both worlds, EFI LIVE and Easy... Get the SPADE!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You won't regret going EFI live. Truly the best of the best, and can be achieved at a very reasonable price these days..

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Got a BullyDog PMT I will sell ya, EGT probe and pillar mount as well:D

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
EFI Live with gauges, I've had three different programmers and sold them all. Nothing compares to EFI Live.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been very happy with PPE on my other 2 duramaxes. i never heard of the Spade EFI until today, I'm really going to look into that for this truck, no tuner yet. I can't find much info on anybody using it yet but it looks like it might be what I'm looking for. I want to find out if it will check and reset DTC codes. Keep looking and you will find more info than you know what to do with, then make up your mind and go with one.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I've been very happy with PPE on my other 2 duramaxes. i never heard of the Spade EFI until today, I'm really going to look into that for this truck, no tuner yet. I can't find much info on anybody using it yet but it looks like it might be what I'm looking for. I want to find out if it will check and reset DTC codes. Keep looking and you will find more info than you know what to do with, then make up your mind and go with one.
Yes It will do everything A V2 does on the vechile. Without the computer. It can read, clear, and log data. The <ain difference between it and the V2 is that your not able to change anything yourself. You have to go thru The Programmer, Nick. But the data you can log will help him fix any problems.

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
If you have any SPADE questions let me know.

Tyler
MPF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts