Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, brand new to the forum and new owner of an '07 LBZ. I know alot about diesel and have always been passionate about then even though this is my first one. Anyways I was wondering how many of you have ran into problems with dealerships when you have your tuner and you bring it in for warranty work? Do you just take it out and set it back to stock they dont say anything or what? I am definately putting my bully dog on soon and getting my crazy larry downloaded after i get my transmission done and was wondering about any worries anybody might have. Appreciate it.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
The best bet is always "out of sight, out of mind." The only way to really know what the dealership thinks of it is to talk to the service manager. I was lucky with my dealership....I bought my truck with the TST already installed on it...in fact the dealership did the original install on it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Depends on your dealer, Ive heard if you put one on it and set it back to stock and you take it in for something wrong and they scan the computer, it still comes up with some sort of code that shows it was chipped. And i was told this by a service manager at a local Chevy dealer who is good friends with my dad. I was planing on chipping mine until i heard that so im only sticking to an Intake and Exhaust.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
They can't tell it was chipped unless they go way deeper. They can tell that the ECM was flashed, but that doesn't mean the codes weren't just cleared. Most of the guys at the dealer don't know how to dig into the ECM to find out of it was chipped. They only know the step by step stuff that their book tells them to do. From what I saw at my dealership, they aren't knowledgeable enough to figure that out. From what I have read on the other forums, it takes a geek at GM to dig that far into it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
the only thing is that if you take teh progarammer off right before you go in it will delete all of teh dtc and they will tell you nothing is wrong with the truck had this happen take the programmer off for a couple of days before going in and try to build up codes so when they scan they can find out what to fix

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea my buddy has a gmc so he deals with them right down the road from me, and he hasnt had any problems so far, hes running the power pup w/ outlook. Its just the thought of ruining that 100,000 mile warranty that makes me nervous

·
Registered
262 Posts
i just took my truck in yesterday for some warranty work. i took the progarammer off about a week ago and when i took it in they said that thye had to replace the rear end. he said sometimes they fo out witha truck witha programmer but he said he checked teh computer adn they said it is not programmed so it is still under warranty. that was a load off my mind so just think about when you need to take the truck in and just take off the programmer and you should be fine

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha well now all i can do is worry about it cuz i took the plunge and bought a power pup w/ the outlook that my buddy sold me today. He was kind of upset with it, so hes now going with ats after talking to somebody from there today. It already has the crazy larry file on it so when i get my tranny done i can run the piss out of it. So hopefully i just never need any warranty work or if i do, i hope it doesnt show up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts