Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 classic LBZ and want to do the typical 3 upgrades. This is my first diesel son i am new to this game. I am mainly looking to increase the fuel economy but also have the power when needed. I have talked to a local performance shop an they recommend the Banks six gun, banks monster exhaust, and AFE stage 2 cold air intake. Any recommendations or advice would be helpful to try and get all the facts i can before i make my decision.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
welcome to the forum..good ?'s
Programmer=the best for the dollar is the Diablo or Hypertech but the best are the PPE tuners and if you have the time to make your own tunes go with the EFILive
Exhaust=you can't beat the Silverline and MBRP products
CAI=i would recommend the AFE,Volant,S&B,Banks or Amsoil and don't go with the K&N filters or a filter that needs oil so stay with the dry filters and i would say the AFE is the best one avalible but if you want to save your $300 for something else do this http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...scussion/2010-cheap-cai-upgrade-your-lbz.html and have something with almost the same amount of gain as a aftermarket CAI..
the ultimate setup would be the PPE,4" TB 304SS Silverline exhaust and the AFE CAI but i did the PPE CAI upgrade along with the PPE tuner and Silverline exhaust and gained almost 4mpg with this setup..just my thoughts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just pulled the Six Gun off my 2001... Was having all sorts of electrical problems with the truck. Pulled the unit and everything is back to normal.

Of course, Banks claims none of those problems could have been caused by their unit because they "only tap into the engine management harness." :Smack

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i've heard some of the same electrical problems with the Banks stuff on the duramax and the one truck that had the banks bundle ended up changing out the computer twice before the dealer recommend him to do something esle for tuning..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Diablosport Predator

This Is The Best Upgrade I Have Done. This Tuner Rocks!!! I Have Mine On 85 Hp Setting. It Is Great. I Have One New If You Are Interested, 225.00 Plus Shipping. Pm Me For More Info

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Tyreboyz hit it on the nail. PPE can really make a truck run but even with the forum member discount they are still a little spendy. The Diablo is a great price and run great. A TransGo shift kit is a great idea if you go the PPE route.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Banks...not so much. You can get alot more power, reliably, for alot less money. Im just starting to learn about the Duramax, but from what I gather the PPE is good, as is EfiLive if you want to do your own tuning. MBRP has some good quality exhaust systems, and AFE is a good intake.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the difference between the Diablo and the PPE. There is a big price difference, so what else is the PPE going to do over the Diablo and what are the advantages and disadvantages?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Basically, the Diablo is an entry level tuner. Good power, smooth, but designed for the guy that only wants to do that. Not really a High performance product more than a performance enhancer. Now the PPE, is available in numerous differerent tunes all the way up to lets race! Very high performance unit, and should be used carefully. Stock transmission and turbo may not be too pleased with the bigger programs.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
right on Dieselnut,if you want a modest amount of power and some fuel economy increase go with the Diablo but if you have want higher HP and a racer in mind get the PPE,but the one thing i wanna say is if you get the PPE standard tuner you can always upgrade it to the bigger tunes at a later date..
i have the PPE HOT+2 on my LBZ along with a Dual 4" Silverline exhaust and the PPE CAI and i increased my fuel economy by 3 to 4mpg over stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does either one void the factory warranty? I do not want to do anything that will mess with the warranty. Also what is a good exhaust that is not super load but still sounds good?

·
Registered
95 Posts
welcome to the forum..good ?'s
Programmer=the best for the dollar is the Diablo or Hypertech but the best are the PPE tuners and if you have the time to make your own tunes go with the EFILive
Exhaust=you can't beat the Silverline and MBRP products
CAI=i would recommend the AFE,Volant,S&B,Banks or Amsoil and don't go with the K&N filters or a filter that needs oil so stay with the dry filters and i would say the AFE is the best one avalible but if you want to save your $300 for something else do this http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...scussion/2010-cheap-cai-upgrade-your-lbz.html and have something with almost the same amount of gain as a aftermarket CAI..
the ultimate setup would be the PPE,4" TB 304SS Silverline exhaust and the AFE CAI but i did the PPE CAI upgrade along with the PPE tuner and Silverline exhaust and gained almost 4mpg with this setup..just my thoughts
Just did this on my rig and it was super simple. The only thing you need to watch out for is on the top where you cut. If you go too far you will take off the hole for the top square shroud to go back in once the intake is back on. I ended up having to screw mine into the plastic in a moved over position but it worked well.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I notice the whistle just slightly louder, wish it were more.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
yes i noticed it has more of a whistle with the CAI mod and if you let some one else drive and you stand on the outside you can really hear a difference when it is under a hard throttle,a jet comes to mind..

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Just make sure you research every option before you buy something. I know alot of people knock Banks, Bully Dog, etc. But every programmer,chip, and tuner is different. And depending on how you drive will affect your decision as well. Me personally, I just want better mileage and to be able to monitor my engine diagnostics more easily and not have to worry about Slipping my tranny. PPE is a great reprogrammer....but I'm going with the Banks 6 gun PDA system...everything is digital, it protects my truck from being damaged, and if I go to the dealer...I unhook 2 cables and it's clear. And Bully Dog makes a similiar system called the PMT that monitors your slippage and temps as well. So do all your research on every programmer and chip before you buy...because everyones truck and driving style is different.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
do a search on this site about the banks stuff,the reason i mentioned this is there are a couple of guys on this site with the banks and they're not happy with the product and i have seen where banks stuff has caused computer problems on the truck..i'm not trying to be a doomsday prophet just wanted to give you heads up on what i've heard..

·
Registered
5 Posts
anyone tried the power pup or superchips on the lbz? and if so how did it go?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts