Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the diesel world so I figured Id ask anyone here with knowledge. I have a 2016 LML 6.6 Duramax 75,800 miles, the only modifications on the truck is a S&B cold air intake. I'm wanting to know if I need to delete the DPF, EGR, and the DEF in order to tune the truck. I know i can throw a tune on it and go on but I have the money to spend and want to do it right. Needing some suggestions on tuners that have preprograms and able to have a custom tune ability with Transmission support tune. I also am needing some options on exhaust system on how to go about deleting all of the DPF,DEF,EGR systems. I have been looking at a EDGE PRODUCTS 85400-200 EVOLUTION CTS3 TUNER (DURAMAX) and I didn't know if the tuner would make it to where I don't get a engine light for the deleted systems.
Any opinions help:)

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
209 Posts
As it is illegal to remove the emissions system off of trucks, I would have to say that it shouldn't be done. But, you would first buy a tuner that can program the truck to think the emissions are still intact. Then, you would take off the exhaust and put a Cat-Back one on the truck, remove the DEF system set up and unplug the EGR or put a blocker plate on it. I would also install a lift pump. Since the EPA is cracking down on deleting diesel trucks, companies that sell tuners, are few and far between. You will not see them advertising that they will delete a diesel truck. Personally, I wouldn't do anything with the emissions systems on the Duramax unless they started giving you issues.

Reactions: Northof40acres1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As it is illegal to remove the emissions system off of trucks, I would have to say that it shouldn't be done. But, you would first by tuner that can program the truck to think the emissions are still intact. Then, you would take off the exhaust and put a Cat-Back one on the truck. I would also install a lift pump. Since the EPA is cracking down on deleting diesel trucks, companies that sell tuners, are few and far between. You will not see them advertising that they will delete a diesel truck. Personally, I wouldn't do anything with the emissions systems on the Duramax has unless they started giving you issues.
would I be able to put a tune on the truck and get better mileage and power without removing the emissions ?

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
209 Posts
BULLY DOG GT PLATINUM DIESEL TUNER

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BULLY DOG GT PLATINUM DIESEL TUNER
Another problem that I would run into with just putting a tune on the truck and leaving the emissions on it. The DPF would fill way faster and more DEF fluid would be used because it would regen more often. My Def heater went and dealer wanted 1800$ to fix it. Which is why I am asking about deleting and tuning.

·
Registered
61 Posts
LML SPADE - LML Tuning
Duramaxtuner directly addresses regens after tuning in their product description, so this may be a tuner to think about.

Also check out the Banks Derringer tuner. Banks has done extensive testing on all of their products, and the derringer was designed for emissions intact vehicles.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The Banks Derringer is for the L5P.
The Banks automind 2 is for LML engines. Thats what I have and it works as they claim.
Banks does soot testing on their tunes and on some other popular brands.
They claim their tunes are the cleanest.
Duramax tuner was my other choice when I was looking at emissions compliant tunes.
Do your research and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Banks Derringer is for the L5P.
The Banks automind 2 is for LML engines.
You're right, I've been looking at the derringer for an L5P so I thought of that and not the Automind 2.
Also, the Automind 2 can do a lot more than simply tune, you can recalibrate the speedo based on tire size, change shift points and firmness, all kinds of things. But like Ottowood said, do some digging and find what hits all the points you want it to.

Reactions: Ottowood

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’d like to have a all in one product, tuner/programmer, and live truck feeds such as transmission heat, coolant temps , presets much the basics. I seen some that use your phone to show feeds but I’m not a fan as I use my phone constantly for calls and road navigation. Is there such a product that can tune, show live feeds, be fixed on the dashboard, and have preprogrammed tunes ?

·
Registered
725 Posts
You got 2 threads going on the same subject for some reason. The edge will give you all you are asking for but you still have your emissions intact cause it's now illegal to do emissions removed tuning. So unless you know someone who knows someone, that's the way it is.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The ezlynk platform is what your seeing. There are companies that do emissions intact tuning along with companies that do non emissions tunes. Just need to find them, and then don't ever mention their name to anyone in the public forums.

But I prefer the ezlynk platform for the ease of use and convenience factor, but I still use a separate monitor (edge cts2) since I can leave it on the truck and don't need to mess with opening the app on my phone to monitor anything.

·
Premium Member
2013 GMC Denali 2500 CCSB 4x4
118 Posts
I've been researching this as well. My truck is still stock, so I'm no expert. But to your two related but separate questions:

Real-time key parameters display: Edge CS/CTS and Banks iDash seem to be the most popular. But I'm cheap so I'll probably use a bluetooth OBD module and an old Android phone I have lying around with Torque or something. Eventually I'd like to make one out of a Raspberry Pi or similar and a 7" display so I can fully customize the UI, because the UIs on these canned products are overdone in the glitzy/flashy department in my opinion.

Tuning: As others have stated, the EPA has cracked down on tuners in recent years, so delete tuning is not publicly advertised by anyone in the US. The tuners who are still around have adapted and are doing emissions-intact tuning now. Even parts are getting scarce; you will not have a large selection of turbo-back exhaust systems for DPF-equipped trucks, for example. The canned tuning modules like Banks Automind and Edge Evolution do not appear to delete emissions, either.

Finally, check the inspection requirements where you live. Many areas require emissions testing on diesels.

If I end up doing the tuning, I'll probably go the Flashscan or HPTuners route, something that lets me do my own tuning. I'd like to be able to play with this myself at some point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same exact truck. 16, GMC Denali HD. At 93,000 mi my fuel pump imploded and destroyed the fuel system to the tune of about 12 grand. I had 100,000 mi warranty to cover the whole thing. It's been suggested that I add a lift pump to help performance efficiency and extend the life of the fuel pump. I also wanted to do a total delete and money is not an object. I absolutely love the truck but don't care for all the emissions bull. Where I live they do require emissions testing which I would obviously fail if I did all that. It was encouraging to read the above responses that would allow me to put a tuner on without doing away with the emissions. That may be a sensible solution. Of the two or three units available do any of you guys have and use them trying to decide which ones for me.
Thanks in advance..
Rick

·
Registered
729 Posts
The emissions compliant tuning will unfortunately not fix the known issues with the LML emissions systems. I'd be more concerned that CP4 would be more likely to stressed out causing potential earlier failure.

The L5P though appears to be less prone to these issues though, but tuning is still rather new and expensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 170k on my 16' GMC never had an issue but would like an intact tune just to eliminate the reduced engine power and would like the DEF system working. is that possible?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.