Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anyone have the names/numbers of the best priced tuner? I know there is a price increase soon if it has not already happened. Synthetic motorsports has edi live tools, with dsp5 and tunes.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Edge products are pretty noteworthy

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
Tuning should not be purchased based on price, but you comfort level with that tuner and their tunes.

Saving $5 now is not worth spending $5k for a trans or $6k+ for an engine sooner then necessary.

I recommending contacting your tuner and discussing your goals to gain a comfort level with them. You can also search for threads posted by people using various tuners.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Edge products are pretty noteworthy
Why is it (EDGE) removed on your sig/rig?

Tuning should not be purchased based on price, but you comfort level with that tuner and their tunes.

Saving $5 now is not worth spending $5k for a trans or $6k+ for an engine sooner then necessary.

I recommending contacting your tuner and discussing your goals to gain a comfort level with them. You can also search for threads posted by people using various tuners.
X's 2....... I think there is a minumum price on EFI Live so dont base your decision on cost for your rig.

There are multiple GREAT TUNA'S around on here. Canned tuners like edge are ok for most people but if you plan on keeping your rig you will want to do more and more, EFI Live will be able to add new tunes for any setup you may plan on doing. Find one you feel comfortable with and order when the bank is ready. I personally run idaho robs tunes- if you wanna see him go to you tube and search for "Max'd Out" a 6100# truck running 10sec.:gearjamin Just search around and choose who will best suit your needs/wants.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Removed Edge because dealership said they could not work on truck while I was having a problem. The problem turned out to be the #2/7 FI connector.
I do plan on going back to the Edge tuner but will probably upgrade to the CTS so I can add a back up camera. The one time I called Edge customer service they were very helpful.
Dialing up the power on the edge with juice adds a TREMENDOUS amount of power.

·
Registered
80 Posts
brother deal what kind of problem were you having with your truck?

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
brother deal what kind of problem were you having with your truck?
I've owned the truck for right at 1 year now.
After about 6 weeks the truck went into limp mode.
Towed to the dealership and by the next morning truck was acting fine with NO CODES...the NO CODES part really was frustrating.
Over the course of about 4 more months this happened to me at least 4 more times....towed to dealer....no codes the next am.
I had mentioned the problem to them regarding the #2/7 FI connector.
The dealership told me that problem had been previously addressed.
So.....the next time it happened I limped it straight to the dealership and had them hook up to computer immediately and GET THE CODES.
Dealership said I needed a FICM and they wanted $1,600 for part and install.
I left dealership and did not have work done. I really felt that the FICM was not the problem because guys on this very forum had said that the FICM hardly ever goes bad. I let the truck sit for 3 months in my driveway.
I ordered FICM off Ebay for about $475 and had it installed for less than $100.
Drove the truck for 3 days and went into limp mode again. Boy was I pissed.
The guy who installed the FICM mentioned the problem with the FI connector.
I told him that the dealer ship said that it had been repaired. HE said no it hadn't because the new kit comes with a special bracket to help hold it in place. I had him put the kit on and have been driving now for 5 days without an issue. I am praying that truck is finally fixed because I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
mine is doing the same thing but it never throws a code which like you said its very aggravating. but i have took mine to the dealership and they told me there was nothing they could do since there was no codes(thats what this world has come to if its not on a computer no one can do anything which is very sad) but i also mentioned the #2/7 connector and they told me there havent been any problems with that. so i left and it dose it about once a month now and i have just learned to live with it

·
Registered
43 Posts
My uncle runs the Edge J w/A setup on his his 2005. Lots of power and speed, increased MPG's by 1.5. He hasn't had any problems like you are referring to. Rig is over 160,000miles. I like Edge products the customer service is good I run the insight for gauges on my LMM, when the screen went out it was back to me in 7 or 8 days.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
mine is doing the same thing but it never throws a code which like you said its very aggravating. but i have took mine to the dealership and they told me there was nothing they could do since there was no codes(thats what this world has come to if its not on a computer no one can do anything which is very sad) but i also mentioned the #2/7 connector and they told me there havent been any problems with that. so i left and it dose it about once a month now and i have just learned to live with it
They are 100% WRONG about the #2/7 connector.
Have the "repair kit" installed immediately. You can try the "ice pick" trick which many have said is a permanant fix. But...imo....get the kit.
I paid $275.00 for the kit and install. I'm sure I could have "shopped" it and saved a bit. This problem tends to get worse overtime. I wish that once it went bad then it was just bad and you knew to replace. Unfortunately you get tricked into thinking your truck...even when it isn't. Trust me on this one.
IMO...stay away from the dealerships...like you said..if the computer wont diagnose the problem FOR THEM then they are not interested. If you prefer not the work on your truck yourself, like me, find a good independant guy who needs and wants your business.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
My uncle runs the Edge J w/A setup on his his 2005. Lots of power and speed, increased MPG's by 1.5. He hasn't had any problems like you are referring to. Rig is over 160,000miles. I like Edge products the customer service is good I run the insight for gauges on my LMM, when the screen went out it was back to me in 7 or 8 days.
Just a comment for a direct comparison. A good friend of mine had an LBZ with Edge Juice W/A on it. We put a small EFI Live tune on it and that tune killed even his Level 5 on his Edge and increased fuel mileage by 2+ mpg. He had ran the Edge in the all modes at one time trying to see which offered the best mileage.

Just thought I'd add my first hand experience and comparison on the same truck. This was with no other changes to the truck.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Is EFI Live an easy walk through install ? or does a tech need to do it ?
I am not handy at these sorts of things

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol this thread was kinda hijacked you think?
Anyways, I bought my efiLive from Tyler at Punisher Performance. I bought the programmer on the tenth and Tyler told me every distributor in the U.S. was sold out due to the fact the price was going to be raised on the twelth. So i'm looking at two weeks max to recieve mine in the mail, which is not bad. Thursday I will be ordering my gauges.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Is EFI Live an easy walk through install ? or does a tech need to do it ?
I am not handy at these sorts of things
Very easy. DSP 5 is tricky to do until you've done it once, then its cake.

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
Rob Coddens @ ATP trucks 208-484-3670. Or you can PM sickdiesel on this forum and get their prices for EFI live. Tell either one of them my smartass sent you. :drink

1 - 18 of 18 Posts