Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, someone enlighten me. A lot of EFI tuners offer a tow tune that utilizes a turbo brake. I've done a small amount of research on this and haven't learned much. How does it work? What are the pros vs cons? Wouldn't it shorten the life of my turbo as I pull a load almost daily? Does anybody have a video of this in action? I've heard it sounds wicked as hell.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
It closes the vanes on the turbo and creates a restriction kinda like a Jacobs brake on the big trucks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I didnt realy understand it as well. Iwent on to Banks website and they seem to make it make sence. I hope that helps.

·
the lawn man
1,450 Posts
it works awsome i have one with my tow tune from nick at duramax tuner get you will love it i tow 7-15k on almost a daily basis it really helps and i have not one problem with it

·
the lawn man
1,450 Posts
yes it does

·
Registered
926 Posts
It is like an exhaust brake, closing vanes when slowing down adds retriction (back pressure) to exhaust.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
i just looked at the thread link to DP and read all 3 pages. My question is...at what rpm do you take the 90% down to? I wa thinking about 1600? Also, below the "low" point, do you gradually step it down or just let it drop off?

·
Registered
926 Posts
i just looked at the thread link to DP and read all 3 pages. My question is...at what rpm do you take the 90% down to? I wa thinking about 1600? Also, below the "low" point, do you gradually step it down or just let it drop off?
You just let it drop off.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Its only going to stay activated until your TC unlocks... which occurs when the engine shifts to 1st... so anyway you look at it your going to get braking right down to the 2-1st shift.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
i have it on my truck and i love it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts