Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004.5 LLY has been a great truck for the last 104k, hopefully this is a quick fix! I have done all the maintenance and work to date, but I wanted to find out if I am on the right track for this issue?

With the exception of an LBZ mouthpiece and Banks PowerPDA the truck is stock.

When this first started it would intermittently throw P0046, I would reset and the truck would run great. Now the truck is continually sluggish and throws a combination of P0046 and P2563. When I get on it the truck spools up slowly and irregularly and eventually makes a "BWhrr..BWhrr..BWhrr.." sound and hesitates a bit.

Reading through other forum members posts, I see similar problems, but never a summary of what eventually fixed the problem. The only options I see are new Vane Position Sensor, Vane Actuator, Wiring issue, or new Turbo. I pulled the Banks out of the wiring harness and still see the same issue, without the ability to reset codes.

Is there a way to narrow this down without shotgunning it like a dealer? My thought is that the Sensor is the easiest to replace and the most likely culprit, is there a way I can confirm this?

Thanks!

765175-0010

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Have you cleaned your maf sensor ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
got access to a scanner? I take them out, plug them back in then push it slowly through the full range of motion while watching it on my scanner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got access to a scanner? I take them out, plug them back in then push it slowly through the full range of motion while watching it on my scanner.
I don't have a scanner, but have a meter and a scope? What kind of scanner works best?

Also I haven't cleaned the MAF yet, I can do that but easy enough. I did inspect it and it looked good when I took the air duct off.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have a similar problem for the past month, only mine is not throwing codes. My truck will not boost normally on occasion, usually when it is hot or has been idiling. It will only do it for a minute or so, and then return to normal.

It almost sounds like one of the vanes is stuck which creates a deep rumble sound rather than the normal.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Sorry guys I am I'n my phone but jus out of curiosity do you have your Pcv rerouted ????

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Block your EGR. Just basing it off the sound you said it made. Had very similar symptoms and a EGR blocked cured them.

But it could also be a vane sensor of the module. If only you knew somebody with EFI so you could do a data log.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Block your EGR. Just basing it off the sound you said it made. Had very similar symptoms and a EGR blocked cured them.

But it could also be a vane sensor of the module. If only you knew somebody with EFI so you could do a data log.
Any members in Roseville, California have EFI Live? Or any shops in the Sacramento area?

thanks -y

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All I am a new member I also just ordered a Vane Sensor, got the same errors, will let you know if that was the problem
What a crappy way to run a wire to the sensor it melted while on a pipe. I never removed or moved it was that way from the Factory, damn and it is 393.10 with shipping overnite.
Hoping that solves the problem, wish me luck

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Hi All I am a new member I also just ordered a Vane Sensor, got the same errors, will let you know if that was the problem
What a crappy way to run a wire to the sensor it melted while on a pipe. I never removed or moved it was that way from the Factory, damn and it is 393.10 with shipping overnite.
Hoping that solves the problem, wish me luck

I find it very helpful to run some 1/4" wire loom over the new sensor wire to help keep it from rubbing and use some silicone tape on any sections touching very hot surfaces to prevent melting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MTL_Dmax

Thanks MTL_Dmax, I was planning on putting it in a wire loom wrap, and will take your mention or using some silicone tape on any sections touching very hot surfaces to prevent melting.
thanks Again
Marc
:thumb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts