Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering why and what fails internally to the turbocharger. Are there folks out there who have opened a failed Duramax turbo to determine exactly what broke? Bearings, vanes stuck, dusting, sensor, cooling.... what does it look like and what causes the different failures? Do different driving / idle habits lead to different failures?:peelout

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
the only failures i have seen have come from screwing with boost either with a boost fooler/controler or efi live, these turbos do not live at anything over 34 psi of boost and after that anything can fail, some test have shown turbine inlet pressures in the 90s @ and above 34psi and this will almost always cause shaft or bearing problems!!!!!

Later
Caleb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info. I can imagine that would be a problem heavy haulin up a mountain with your foot to the boards. Have you seen the slotted ring and vanes stop moving or get sticky? Will this do the same thing?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
yea if they stick closed it will cause you to build boost over 34 psi and the turbo go boom shortly after!!!

Factory boost is capped @ 24 psi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What stops the ring from turning???? Has anyone opened up one of these turbo's to find out why they stick? Can anything be done to keep the ring moving as it should - with or without mods?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Id think it would stop just from ash build up from the exhuast.:woot

Reactions: Irwin Harlton
1 - 6 of 6 Posts