Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an inlet horn for my birthday but have concluded that on my ‘03 CA LB7, where there is a different configuration of the hardware, ain’t no way I’m going to put it in.

And I’m not even talking about the dreaded lower fastener. The one on the upper left has resisted all efforts to apply a wrench (I ground a 10mm ratcheting box down to minimal) and no way is it accessible.

Gotta ask. Any CA LB7 owners reporting success?

Also, sweet, red intake horn available for cost of shipping and $10. :crying:

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Mine isnt a California model, I used a tubing wrench to break mine free (must break it loose) then got a craftsman ratchet wrench. On mine, move that water line and vacuum line in the way as well and the wire connected to the cooler It helps greatly. The bottom bolt I went under the wiring harness from the front with 1/4 drive and used electrical tape over my universal (it stretches and moves). Also had a good magnet real handy but didnt need it. Took me about an hour for a fat man laying on his belly!

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, so it can be done.

I am running a after market air horn on my call 2002 with no issues.
Do you recall how you dealt with the upper, left fastener?

Seems even after removing all the pieces I could, there is a bump on the intake plumbing that blocks insertion of my ground down ratcheting box wrench. I didn’t try a tubing wrench.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got a ground down open and box end wrench from a mechanic at work. I don't it was even a 1/16 thick. I fought it all the way. It was magnetized also. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I only had on ratchet wrench that would fit and it was the round older Craftsman style, the gear wrench was to wide. i had to clean and relube the wrench though because its such a short stroke, one click sometimes 2 at the most.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Steve whose horn is it?

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No name but nice welds and primo red finish.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Is it stock size or 3.5 in?

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3.5” and my mistake, not welded but attachment plate seems to be on with an adhesive. Mandrel bent.

I’d put it in myself but don’t want to fuss with fasteners anymore...:(.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Can you post a pic or text me a few?
540 758 1468

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pic.

Here’s a picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Looks like a Werli.....use a grinder and cut the head off the bold or a hacksaw blade.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I did mine about 8 months ago and no joke, It took me probably 6 hours of messing around and fabricating a 10 mm open end to get the lower bolt loose (maybe a 1/16" of a turn if that) and out the other two just need to be loosened. I dont know what to look for as far as change goes. I drove it to Idaho seemed like i got better fuel mileage. I still have my PPE down pipe in a box i tried to install cant seem to break the bolts loose. GRRRR

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Yes those bolts dont break loose they BREAK!!! You need to get some sort of little impact in there to break those loose after soaking them all night in some sort of penetrate. My advice to anyone doing exhaust is wait and do the turbo as well, its just easier together. As far as the Air horn goes I'll open my hood tomorrow and take some pictures of what I actually did to put mine on, maybe it will help. I didnt take Ac or water pipe and thremostat off either. Wasnt a walk in the park but did it in a few hours on my fat belly laying on a pillow, with my ass showing half the time!

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
ok Im no artist but here is what mine looks like and what I removed.

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,169 Posts
Could be one of ours. A lot of people making them and they all seem to look the same. :(

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Sent a pm steve, ill take it. Shoot me a text when you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Oh glad I looked back at this post my screw driver had been missing awhile !!! It was still there Even after 3 trips too and back from Boise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts