Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he guys, just looking for some feedback on stock turbo and at what point do you look at tearing down and rebuilding the turbo... this is my second Dmax/Allison and this lb7 has 176,000 on the ticker, new injectors from LDS less than 200 miles on them, 4" diamond eye on the way and s+b intake.. this is my welding rig so im not doing any crazy mods to it, probably a tuner of some sort next pay day:)
so at what point do you start looking at/thinking about digging in and rebuilding this stock turbo... and at that point who is good at rebuilding these bad boys...
and if your gonna get to this point why not get a different wheel to throw in it.. lower the egts and get a little more sound.. this truck is bone stock except for whats on the way.. first and foremost reliability is key..
thanx for any opinons/feedback...

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
There pretty stout turbos. I don't think you really rebuild them unless they have been abused or have a ton of miles way more then what you have on thebtruck. Keep air filter clean and keep on driving it. I have 200k on my stock lb7 no turbo issues at all

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so when i throw this intake on it i should be able to get a look at the wheel and see if there is any kind of play going on there... is a wheel a decent upgrade over stock..? ive read that some balance the new setup and some dont.. what determines that?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Just depends on what you want if your just wanting to run stock turbo and factoryish horsepower. I'd just leave the turbo alone. They can run up to 530 hp with tune lift pump and built trans

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, my lbz ran pretty hard but that was more of my play truck than anything... until the psycho ex made off with it.. gotta love em... lol
anyway this one ton here has to be reliable first and foremost as long as thats the case im not afraid to put $ into it..

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I found a ppe boost increase valve helped a little on whistle not much but a little. A intake should help as well could do the intake horn from duramaxtuner.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
When I pulled mine at 140K it still was in perfect shape, no play at all. And of that 140k, about 40k was on big built trans tunes that made just over 30 lbs, and another 20k or so with an edge unit

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what about a deeper pan for the 5 spd...? that probably would help it stay a little cooler..
its got new fluid and external filters twice in about a thousand miles and the last trip in when i had injectors installed i had my mechanic change fluid and external filter again, i told him not to do the internal, that allison didnt recommend it but he did anyway.. being that hes had his own transmission shop for over thirty years i didnt argue with him lol

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
That's normal temps. I don't know about the deep pan have heard it's good and heard it's not so I don't know. He might own a shop for thirty years but the Allison is a special breed and needs to be maintence per what Allison says

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Deep pan is useless. If you want to lower temps get a different cooler.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
yeah i know what allison says, and i told him that... he told me after he installed the filter that didnt make a damn bit of sense, and that it was a cotton filter and needed to be changed on a regular basis.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
A larger pan takes longer to get to operating temp, but if it gets hot then it stay hot longer as well. I run a PPE cooler but I know Mike L makes a cooler as well.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
How do you like it? And how much did it lower your temps on built trans

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.