Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turbo is making an ugly sound whenever it spools up. Pretty sure the bearing/bearings are shot. Truck has 230,000 miles. Deleted, tuned, CP3 conversion, lift pump, 5" full exhaust.

Should I buy a new stock turbo? Or just buy a rebuild kit?

Should I buy an upgraded turbo? But if I do, would the program NEED a re-tune?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm thinking to buy the stock turbo off of XDP. Thinking hard about an upgraded turbo too. Having trouble deciding.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
My turbo is making an ugly sound whenever it spools up. Pretty sure the bearing/bearings are shot. Truck has 230,000 miles. Deleted, tuned, CP3 conversion, lift pump, 5" full exhaust.

Should I buy a new stock turbo? Or just buy a rebuild kit?

Should I buy an upgraded turbo? But if I do, would the program NEED a re-tune?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm thinking to buy the stock turbo off of XDP. Thinking hard about an upgraded turbo too. Having trouble deciding.
your pretty sure its bearings? is there any shaft play? in&out and up down? whats the compressor wheel look like? what do you use your truck for? who does your tuning? lot of questions that need answered.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm only saying bearings because that's what my mechanic told me it sounded like. I don't know anything about turbo's.

Turbo has not been removed or inspected yet. Just figure with the mileage and the sound it was making, that it's probably it's time to crap out.

It's mainly a daily driver. I do own a park model camper that I pull occasionally.

A local diesel shop does my tuning for me.

Thanks for your questions. I'll ask my mechanic about the play.

This hurts my wallet because I just replaced the head gasket, which is when I had head studs and the cp3 conversion installed as well. Less than 1000 miles later, the turbo is making wierd sounds. It literally sounds like the wheel inside the turbo is just rubbing the inside of the housing whenever the turbo is being used. Pretty loud.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,372 Posts
It literally sounds like the wheel inside the turbo is just rubbing the inside of the housing whenever the turbo is being used. Pretty loud.
Are you sure there isnt a boost leak somewhere being it was apart not long ago?

Reactions: DMAXfirefighter

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I'm hoping for. I'm hoping it is just a leak. But it sounds more like friction going on than a leak. Could it be the vanes not operating correctly? That's something else my mechanic proposed.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,530 Posts
Boost leak, exhaust leak... it was apart so things need to be looked over and checked before you just throw a turbo at it. But I'll say this- I put a Fleece Cheetah on my 15 when we did the cp3 conversion back in January and I think its great. Good sound, good power

Reactions: wydopen731

·
Registered
737 Posts
I believe for an upgraded turbo you'd need re-tuning. More air, needs more fuel.

You using a cold air intake or stock filter? I've seen Fram air filters from a stock intake getting sucked into the turbo and destroy them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm just gonna go with a stock turbo. If I hadn't spent about 10g on replacing a head gasket, 3 weeks ago 😒, then I would probably go for the Cheetah. But more $$ for the upgrade, then more $$ for the re-tune, which could cause more repairs down the road (due to added power). Got to remember this baby is pushing close to 250,000 miles.

It has a Banks intake. If I did do a turbo upgrade, would like to also upgrade to a Y Bridge. I had an S&B but for some reason it was giving me trouble.

It's with the mechanic now getting looked at. Hopefully he finds it's just a leak somewhere after having to pull it all apart not too long ago, and won't have to replace the turbo. Thank you all for the advise on what to look for. That's exactly the help I needed!

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts