Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was leaving work today and was coming up to speed on the freeway and I heard a loud release of air pressure and suffered a total loss of Turbo pressure. I was not pushing the gas all that hard and was not all my stock gauges appeared to be normal. The check engine light did not turn on. I did notice a change to the sound coming out from under the hood (the tone was different) and I could smell exhaust coming from the front of the truck.

When I got home I shut the truck off and popped the hood. Everything looks normal and there isn't any fluid anywhere. When I restarted the truck the check engine light came on. I could hear the vanes moving, it kind of sounded like a wobl vacuum pump.

I have a pretty good grasp on the theory of how a turbo works but I do not know all the components that could be involved in a blowout like this. So outside of my visual inspection, I am done for the evening.

Has anyone heard of this? I have a friend with a code reader and I will get it read tomorrow and I have the 5 volume service manual to refer to. But in the meantime does anyone have any ideas of what may have happened here?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Sounds like you have a leak in your compressed intake system. Spray bottle full of soap (25% soap) and the balance water and spray your complete intake system from turbo to the piping and the intercooler to the intake. Pretty sure something will show where your leak is.

Reactions: cfell

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the compressed air intake run between the turbo to the engine intake? I'm just trying to map this in my head.

Sounds like you have a leak in your compressed intake system. Spray bottle full of soap (25% soap) and the balance water and spray your complete intake system from turbo to the piping and the intercooler to the intake. Pretty sure something will show where your leak is.

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Codes are P0046 & P2563 for circuit A.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I would check the charge air cooler hoses.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Intake air starts at your air filter, past the MAF sensor, then goes to the turbo to be compressed, then out of the turbo towards the driver's side piping to the intercooler, out of the intercooler on the passenger side, up thru the intake, and into the engine after passing thru the MAP sensor. Between the turbo and intercooler is sometimes referred to as the 'hot side' and between the intercooler and the intake is the 'cold side'.

Reactions: richardsville

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Soap test!

I just found my culprit...it's this band just under the Turbo housing. It's snapped.

Anything I should be concerned about other than replacing the band?

Are there instructions anywhere on how to clear the area so I can access it better? My service manuals don't seem to have much info on the boost system.

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just a quick bump to make sure this is the correct part for my needs

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey sorry no one got back with you sooner. Is it the band on the front of the turbo? Because that’s what you linked. It sounded like it was the boot on the passenger side of the engine which has a band clamp that’s similar but smaller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Are there instructions anywhere on how to clear the area so I can access it better? My service manuals don't seem to have much info on the boost system.
The attachment covers the complete changeout of the turbo. You only need parts of this to do what you want

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should have updated my post.

I found the part after a lot of searching.

Bearing to Housing V-Band Clamp 6.6 Duramax

It is this bearing to housing v-band. The last photo for this gives a clear picture of its placement.

Hey sorry no one got back with you sooner. Is it the band on the front of the turbo? Because that’s what you linked. It sounded like it was the boot on the passenger side of the engine which has a band clamp that’s similar but smaller

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh dang, that’s not a great place to have blow apart! I would be careful, if the back half of the turbo (turbine housing) separated more than just a little bit it could have damaged the turbine and/or the ring for the vanes could have came off it’s lobe.

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe that the v-band is the only thing that broke in this instance, but since you bring it up can you clarify what you mean by separating?

If you look at the video I posted above you can see that band vibrating around and it appears that the housing is still in place.

Oh dang, that’s not a great place to have blow apart! I would be careful, if the back half of the turbo (turbine housing) separated more than just a little bit it could have damaged the turbine and/or the ring for the vanes could have came off it’s lobe.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In the video it does look like it still seated. I would think you would hear it if the turbine hit the housing when it’s spinning. You said the basins are still working right? If so you should be fine. As far as what I mean by separating, the turbo is made in 3 main pieces. The center section that has the vein actuator and the compressor wheel/turbine/shaft spin in. Then the compressor housing on the front, that’s the aluminum part. And the turbine housing in the back. The turbine housing meets up to the center section under that v band clamp that broke

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here this shows it really well

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I am totally new to turbo parts, so by basins I am going to assume you mean the compressor and the turbine. They both appear to be working fine but the turbine doesn't really do anything since all the compressed air is coming out the center section where the seal is broken.

By the way, what is the center section called that the VPS is mounted in.

Thanks

In the video it does look like it still seated. I would think you would hear it if the turbine hit the housing when it’s spinning. You said the basins are still working right? If so you should be fine. As far as what I mean by separating, the turbo is made in 3 main pieces. The center section that has the vein actuator and the compressor wheel/turbine/shaft spin in. Then the compressor housing on the front, that’s the aluminum part. And the turbine housing in the back. The turbine housing meets up to the center section under that v band clamp that broke

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh shoot I’m sorry. That basins is my phone autocorrecting for veins. I’m thinking the center is normally called ether the center section or body

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL....I'll know better once I get this band on.

Oh shoot I’m sorry. That basins is my phone autocorrecting for veins. I’m thinking the center is normally called ether the center section or body

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Made a goal to get the ring off tonight. It wasn't to difficult. I was thinking I could easily pull the compressor housing away to insert the new ring but that isn't going to be easy. So we will see how long it takes for me to wrap this project up.

I did find some oil in the compressor outlet. Is that normal?

Automotive tire Yellow Office supplies Gas Rim

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts