Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK boys and girls… I just picked up a ’06 and I think Im having problems with my turbo. The short and sweet is that when Im cruising at a constant speed in 2nd or when Im accelerating through them all Im not liking what Im hearing from the turbo. At first you hear the wine that’s normal and sounds fine but once you get on it a bit, the turbo almost sounds like its spitting and sputtering a very little bit. Now the truck seems to run fine, Im just trying to figure out what the deal is with the turbo.

This is my first diesel and Im trying to get the bugs worked out.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Fill out your signature (go to User CP) so we know what year of truck u have and what mods. Mabey you have a boost leak somewhere. Someone else will chime in with a better answer.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
I could be a wide variety of things. Your turbo is probably not the problem. I would check the fuel filter, air filter, MAF sensor.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
ya the turbos on these are much more reliable. i doubt its the turbo as well. like johnasara said it could easily be a fuel problem

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... I going to have to take it in and have it looked at.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
You do not have to take it in to change the Fuel filter. It is pretty simple with some basic hand tools and a filter wrench. The dealer and most shops cahrge between 75-125 bucks to change a filter that cost 40 bucks. There is a write up here in the DIY section. Pretty simple and straight forward.
The air filter and MAF are easy to do as well. You hust need a torx screwdriver set to clean the MAF. It is located right after the box on for the air filter. You remove the two screws and unplug it. Then spray it with some MAF sensor cleaner and let it dry then re-install it

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
Pretty much the same location on a lmm for the maf sensor? Does autozone etc. Carry the cleaner?

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Yes autozone carries it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am having this same problem! When I'm lightly accelerating or driving at a constant speed in 1st or 2nd the turbo will switch back and forth between "hiss" and "rumble". I replaced the turbo vane position sensor and nothing changed. Then I installed a used turbo and it fixed the problem for about a month, and now it does it again... The turbo I installed was taken off my friend's truck with no problems because he got an upgraded turbo. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? It gets annoying because its imposible to eccelerate smoothly with the vanes switching back and forth all the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am having this same problem! When I'm lightly accelerating or driving at a constant speed in 1st or 2nd the turbo will switch back and forth between "hiss" and "rumble". I replaced the turbo vane position sensor and nothing changed. Then I installed a used turbo and it fixed the problem for about a month, and now it does it again... The turbo I installed was taken off my friend's truck with no problems because he got an upgraded turbo. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? It gets annoying because its imposible to eccelerate smoothly with the vanes switching back and forth all the time.
sounds like a bad/dirty maf to me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts