Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving all day stopped and shut truck off , got back in truck 10 minutes later and truck had a hum/whistle . Noticed I didn't have a whistle when I got off the throttle. Turned the pan position monitor on and it was going from 0-20% erratically. Then shut truck off again and now it's stuck at 100% truck feels like it has no power

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No , drove the truck for probably an hour like this , got home and took the vane position sensor out and cleaned it and re installed it , drove for 20 minutes and had same 100% then all the sudden poof it worked again and I've been driving it all night. Not a problem ... Weird

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Started the truck this morning drove it to work , it was fine , parked it for a few hours came back drove down the street and the vane position went back to 100% for the rest of the 10 minute drove back to work. Then came back to it 3 hours
After and it was fine started up vane position was acting normal hauled a boat to a local ramp with out a problem. The problem seems to come and go I got on the throttle hard and lots of black smoke (lack of boost ) and it came back to normal then stopped at a light and it went back to 100%

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VSS? The solenoid ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How can I test the solenoid. I don't think it's the vanes sticking , I drive the truck everyday and i took the sensor off and I could move the mechanism easily

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Set the truck back to stock, now I'm getting codes
P0046
P0101

egr
P0401
P0404
Egr ones are probably because the blocker plate

·
Registered
385 Posts
VSS? The solenoid ?
VPS, sorry. The vane position sensor. If you have EFI you can real-time log the position. I believe there is also a test you can run from EFI to verify that it can open and close the vanes. If the sensor is bad it can command the vanes to stay wide open. In that case it would need a new sensor and they are not cheap.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have efi live , is the VPS more likely to go bad than the solenoid ?

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Mine went all at once but it was the sensor. Once and a great while the controllers go.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When your sensor went how was it acting ?

·
Registered
385 Posts
They can get stuck wide open, get stuck closed, can swing up and down very quickly, etc. You can pull the VPS sensor on the Edge Insight and see what the position is. If it's stuck at 100% probably need a sensor.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The sensor goes 0 to 100 just very randomly the vanes will go to 100 and stay there and I can fell it lagging bad and have no boost but it could drive fine on day and then the vanes go to 100 and drives shitty for a time ranging from 10 minutes to an hour them go back to driving normal

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And the p0046 code keeps coming up while I was in stock but vanes never went to 100%

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would sticking vanes not throw a code ? Because the turbo got stuck at 100 and drove around on stock tune and all I got was the p0046 and the egr codes I took the down pipe off and it doesn't seem bad but maybe it is I snapped a pic maybe I gotta clean the rear end of the turbo

Attachments

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Looks normal to me.

Have you checked for boost leaks. If the turbo isn't making boost like it should it will cause it to do crazy things.

Do you have a buddy you can swap sensors with to see if it goes away?

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Need a tune with a turbo brake, vanes work so much they can't stick.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took the sensor out cuz it was really really acting up , doing the thumb test only goes from 0-30 so I guess this means the sensor is indeed bad

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Swapped VPS with my friends lly and the vane position was all over the place from 60-100 while driving down the block.

Truck is throwing the p2563 now to with my original one back in

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.