Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a preference???........I'd like to eventually take this step but want to research it as much as I can before deciding which way to go......I occasionally pull a 4 horse gooseneck that may get to 10,000 pounds.......Mostly used as a grocery getter......We do intend on eventually pulling more frequently when time allows...... I by no means work the truck hard compared to what I've seen some guys do but I would like to try to make it a little snappier and save a little on fuel if possible.......There are so many choices by so many different companies that it can be difficult to decide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As far as exhausts go,I have the BullyDog cat-back on my 05'ext.cab. I spoke with many people and decided on the cat back to avoid engine codes for EGR. There are many ways around it but, the full exhaust didn't seem to offer any advantages over the cat-back other than noise. The cat on these things are wide open. If I were to make any recommendations I would suggest the Banks cat-back. It comes the the 4-bolt flange and fits flawlessly. Banks was a big factor when it came to my decision between full and cat-back systems. Being that they have made diesel performance parts for some time and they only offer the cat-back. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.........I wasn't sure if going turbo back would offer increased airflow over a cat back system......No more than I will work the truck a cat back would probably do me just fine so that is probably the way I will go........I only plan on doing the exhaust and airbox, no EDGE or the like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you don't plan on any kind of performance HP upgrade you should just cut the muffler and cat off for $50 instead of spending 3 to 7 hundred on exhaust for no reason. If you can't do the cat, muffler should be good enough. If you don't plan on edge, van aken, or any of the other boxes or programmers that is what I would do. That is what I did, your stock exhaust is already 3.5. I am running a 3.5in staight pipe no muff no cat with 2 MPG gain. JMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh yeah almost forgot, if you are doing it for looks add a 3.5in to 4 or 5in tip. Looks and sounds the same as aftermarket system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
greendmax is also correct with removing only the muffler. The one advantage is the egt. with larger exhaust. you wouldn't think 1/2 inch in dia. would make any difference but it does. especially at highway speeds. There are a multitude of websites that you can research for the exhaust and the best price. here are a few: www.rpmoutlet.com, www.xtremediesel.com. The decision is ultimately up to you. Hope you have a Good Thanksgiving! :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree with Green, if you're going to spend the money on exhaust and intake, go ahead and get a chip to help take advantage of that newfound airflow. Getting a Superchip tuner works great. It is one of the safest on the market and affordable. I had one on my PSD that did a great job of providing the extra power when needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may consider a programmer, but only for the increased fuel economy, and after I do the exhaust and airbox. I really don't need any more power since I don't work it that often, and when I do the worse it will pull is 12000 (4horse gooseneck fully loaded). It already pulls this trailer like there is nothing behind me. :peelout .....Thanks for the help. I'll probably do these upgrades over the next year or so and I'll try to keep things posted on here so people can see how my 05 LLY does with the upgrades I choose.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cool. Well like I said consider the superchip. You could find a used one for half the new priced, and it's the exact same thing. Program it onto economy mode and it'll give you some extra horse, and mileage too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
new to site, duramax

just bought a 05 dmax, allison, 4wd, 20,000 miles and was wondering what are the basic upgrades to do. this truck is mainly for work, pulling trailer (no gooseneck) 12000lbs. i figure a chip or programmer, intake....what else is inexpensive and trustworthy? thanks in advance and love the site already, hope to see more.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey cliff. I'd start off with an intake and an exhaust. I drive a Powerstroke and I'm on here mainly because i'm a diesel fan. I'm not necessarily partial to just one engine and knocking on everyone else's like a lot guys do. Anyway, I like AFE intakes and Magnaflow exhaust kits. It seems that AFE has the best out there. I like magnaflow because they're not as god awful expensive as some of the other kits out there. But just about any 4" mandrel bent turbo back kit is going to flow the same as the rest of them, so it's price and preference for me. And some guys think that a 5 inch system is better...unless you have a 5 inch turbo outlet, it doesn't. going anything much larger than the turbo outlet is 100% cosmetic and oftentimes difficult to fit. anyway I'd suggest freeing up the path in and out of your engine first. Just with exhaust and intake alone you will see a noticeable increase in power and torque. After that get the chip, and then you'll turn some heads. Also, check out a diesel show that you can road trip to. You can get really great deals on aftermarket parts that aren't normally available to you. Hope this helps..

·
Registered
86 Posts
The reason for upgrading to a larger exhaust system is to get the hot exhaust away from the engine quicker, in a larger quantity. If you do not enlarge the smallest restriction you essentially gain nothing. The CAT back larger systems fit this description, the 3.5" stock exhaust pipe will still allow the same amount through, regardless of how large the rest of the system is made. Test this theory yourself with a garden hose and water for visual confirmation. Larger systems are quite spendy, especially since the stock system is adequate for stock engines. If you wish to add HP, then you must upgrade the air flow systems first. A Larger exhaust system and an improved air intake system are essential before increasing HP, if the full benefit is to be realized without harming your engine. A diesel engine is a heat engine, 1/3 is exhausted, 1/3 is absorbed by the cooling system and 1/3 is converted into usable power. All three thirds must be balanced when adding HP if reliability is expected, just as the stock unit is balanced for reliability. Cost effectivness enters in too, an $800 SST large exhaust system may gain 2-3 mpg, at $3 @ gal it will take several thousand miles to break even, and that's without also spending money to increase HP, You said your HP is satisfactory now right?

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you're goin for a show quality truck, get the stainless. Otherwise just get a nice quality exhaust kit for half the price. It'll serve the same purpose.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Also do be sure that if you get an intake that it's really good at filtering. If you get an AFE get the pre filter too. Dust isn't a good thing if the filter lets it get past into the turbo and engine....

·
Registered
6 Posts
upgrades

Cliff, I installed the edge e-z module,Aem brute force intake and bullydog cat back exhaust. I noticed little improvement without the tuner. I sold the ez module and installed the juice with attitude to add some levels of power and the gauges. I started monitoring the egt and decided to remove the cat. I had heard that it would throw an EGR code on some. I found out that certain designations would but here in the southeast region we haven't had any problems. It did make a difference in boost reponse and egt. The egt dropped by 190 degrees. Sounds better too. If I may also suggest an exhaust I would recommend MBRP or Banks. The bullydog doesn't install as easy as the others. If I didn't have a lift and welder and knowledge I would have never gotten this thing on.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey bigdog isn't it amazine what hacking out the cat and/or muffler can do?? makes it wake up quite a bit!

·
Registered
17 Posts
soooo....

if i were to do a banks power BIG HOSS BUNDLE, would that do the trick, or is that over kill, if there is such a thing for this subject

i know a little about performance parts and stuff, not a newbie....not a "whats a turbo do" kinda guy

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's like this......ever get one of those little red straws to stir coffee with? Drink your coffee through it. That's stock exhaust......put a big 'ol movie theater straw in it and see how easier it is to drink it! Ha..! That'd be like a straight thru turbo back kit.....

·
Registered
262 Posts
so is there a reason to elimnate the cat or not. right now i have no muffler and did not notice any difference so i was thinking about eliminating the cat any comments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts