Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
I agree with Green, if you're going to spend the money on exhaust and intake, go ahead and get a chip to help take advantage of that newfound airflow. Getting a Superchip tuner works great. It is one of the safest on the market and affordable. I had one on my PSD that did a great job of providing the extra power when needed.

· Registered
268 Posts
Cool. Well like I said consider the superchip. You could find a used one for half the new priced, and it's the exact same thing. Program it onto economy mode and it'll give you some extra horse, and mileage too.

· Registered
268 Posts
Hey cliff. I'd start off with an intake and an exhaust. I drive a Powerstroke and I'm on here mainly because i'm a diesel fan. I'm not necessarily partial to just one engine and knocking on everyone else's like a lot guys do. Anyway, I like AFE intakes and Magnaflow exhaust kits. It seems that AFE has the best out there. I like magnaflow because they're not as god awful expensive as some of the other kits out there. But just about any 4" mandrel bent turbo back kit is going to flow the same as the rest of them, so it's price and preference for me. And some guys think that a 5 inch system is better...unless you have a 5 inch turbo outlet, it doesn't. going anything much larger than the turbo outlet is 100% cosmetic and oftentimes difficult to fit. anyway I'd suggest freeing up the path in and out of your engine first. Just with exhaust and intake alone you will see a noticeable increase in power and torque. After that get the chip, and then you'll turn some heads. Also, check out a diesel show that you can road trip to. You can get really great deals on aftermarket parts that aren't normally available to you. Hope this helps..

· Registered
268 Posts
If you're goin for a show quality truck, get the stainless. Otherwise just get a nice quality exhaust kit for half the price. It'll serve the same purpose.

· Registered
268 Posts
Also do be sure that if you get an intake that it's really good at filtering. If you get an AFE get the pre filter too. Dust isn't a good thing if the filter lets it get past into the turbo and engine....

· Registered
268 Posts
Hey bigdog isn't it amazine what hacking out the cat and/or muffler can do?? makes it wake up quite a bit!

· Registered
268 Posts
It's like this......ever get one of those little red straws to stir coffee with? Drink your coffee through it. That's stock exhaust......put a big 'ol movie theater straw in it and see how easier it is to drink it! Ha..! That'd be like a straight thru turbo back kit.....

· Registered
268 Posts
Go ahead and elminate it. I think that cats don't restrict flow as much as a muffler does, but they do help completely free up airflow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.