Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. Im a Chevy kind of guy. But Im hooked on the way a PowerStroke whistles. I had one to pull up beside me in town today. A Duramax is no where close to sounding that way. It sounded like a Jet Plane and I was at the front of the truck. How do I get an 04 D-Max to sound like that. We're looking at an 04. Whats the cheapest way to get a mean sound.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You shouldn't worry about what that powerstroke sounds like; you should worry about how many car lengths your gonna take him by;)

Seriously, there is a lot you can do to your duramax to make that turbo whistle, unfortunatley, a lot of it is expensive. As said above, the cheapest way to hear your boost is to straight pipe the truck. I would start with a good intake, and exhaust and then go from there depending on satisfaction.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is removing the Cat (illegal)? How will it sound if i just leave it stock but remove the muffler and straight pipe it and put a cold air intake kit on it? What will a cheap 5" exhaust cost me?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not sure with all these emmisions laws coming into effect if cutting the cat would be such a good idea. I got a banks intake, and exhaust and i like it because it's not obnoxious, and over bearing. Every one's prefrence is a little different though. You should just shop around on the internet and see what kind of deals you can come up with.

You could do like what you said though and just cut the muffler off and straight pipe it from there back, if you want to do it cheap.

As far as intakes are concerned go with afe, they seem to be the best. My banks is okay, but i don't think it flows as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
262 Posts
the truck you probablt heard was an 03 or earlier 7.3ltr powerstroke. those do not have cats therefore you get the turbowhistle

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually It was a friend of mine. It was a 03 6.0 liter PS. He said it had a Banks turbo on it. It was sweet. He just bought it. It already had the bells and whistles put on it. I noticed while it was at a idle the turbo sounded like it was speeding up and slowing down. First time i ever heard one do that. Usually its just a steady whistle. But it sounded awesome

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is the 04 you are looking at an lly or an lb7? If you put a straight pipe on an lb7 you don't hear much turbo whistle imo. If it is a lly you will hear some more whistle . Just my .02

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont know which one it was. Dad called Staurday and it was SOLD. That just made me so happy...NOT:mad: . I didn have a chance to decode the VIN. Oh Well. Maybe next time!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got the MBRP 4" turbo-back exhaust. It sounds like a jet and has a kool whistle 2 it. Not the loudest out there

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i use to have a 5" straight on my 05 lly with the boost controller and it had almost to much whistle and i even had guys ask me if i was runnin dual turbos....i wan't dual exhaust so i put the 5" on my 06 gmc and a dual 4" on the 05,boy does that 5" scream under throttle..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts