Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2004 LB7 Dually.Has 134000 miles on it.Pulled a 23 foot house trailer loaded it's about 6000 pounds.We went from Michigan to Gatlinburg Tennessee.New truck pulled better than my 95 454 Suburban,but I was a little disappointed in the pulling power.I see people pulling trailers that were at least twice as big.Twice the weight, twice as hard to tow?Someone told me put the cruise on and let the diesel do it's thing.I did and it seemed alright.Kept the rpms to about 2000.OK to put my foot into it?Talked to a guy at a rest stop,he was pulling a 18000 pound trailer.He had a 2005 Duramax,had to refuel every 110 miles,must of been pedal to the metal.This a great website!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If you want to put your foot in it I guess you can. What are you trying to do? Tow fast or more power? That guy with the 2005 is towing way to fast and is being reckless and extremely unsafe. Also welcome :) I have owned 2 lb7's and loved them both great trucks

·
Registered
239 Posts
Even at 18K does 4MPG seem low to anyone else? I've towed 10K and got WAY better than that with my 04.5 (05). Was the road flat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You for the welcome. Just wondering is my truck tired or will mine be able to handle a new fifth wheel in the future.Don't need to go fast.The Gent with the 2005 was coming back from the mountains of Tennessee.Pulling my trailer I got about 15 mpg,great compared to the pig 454 I had.Fifth wheel pull any different? Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
Even though the 5er may be heavier, the differences in airflow vs a TT will often offset the increased mass.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can push my classic to 7.x mpg, but it takes 75 mph with the 40' TH. At 55 I CAN break 11, but usually run in the 9.x to 10.x range. I have a tune, so the numbers are hand calc..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.